I Need Some Crumb-Coating Advice Please.

Decorating By cut-n-up Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 5:40am by cut-n-up

cut-n-up Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 6

icon_confused.gif I am new at this and I have to say you guys are great. I have only made 5 cakes but I really like it and my family and friends think maybe I have a nack for it I don't know maybe they drink too much or something. icon_lol.gif Well my problem is after I have refrigerated my cakes and finish carving and leveling I get ready to crumb-coat and everytime I have problems. I have watched youtube videos, read tutorials, used different icings but I fight it everytime to get a smooth surface. I usually have to do it several times to get it smooth and then I think that sweet flavor is too much. It seems that I have to spackle and touch up over and over. It looks like a bad sheetrock job. I still haven't got it. I don't really know if my royal icing is the right consistancy. I have used buttercream and same problem. I have tried using some parchment paper techniques. I have done it very very thin. It still is so so messy and needs so much extra work just for this small part. Help Help. icon_sad.gif Does anyone know some surefire tricks or techniques? Could you also let me know exactly what the consistncy should be? Also maybe a real good general recipe the doesn't overpower or over sweeten the cake?Thanks again. You guys are great.

5 replies
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 6

Crumb coating doesn't have to be perfect since it's the undercoating of icing. I don't think royal is a good icing to ice with. Royal is designed to get hard and hold it's shape pretty quick ... not a good medium for icing a cake.

Crumb coating is to seal the cake's crumbs so when you do the next layer of icing, no crumbs will get in your icing.

Dont' worry about what your crumb coating looks like.

A good technique to smoothing, though, is the Melvira Method (home page .... scroll down thru the articles until you come to it ..... I found this method about a year ago and it is AWESOME!!

cut-n-up Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 6

I am sorry I thought that if you are covering your cake with fondant and maybe I was just not clear that I do want to cover them with fondant. I thought it had to be smooth. I thought the crumb coat was like a smooth shell around the cake for the fondant to come out smooth. Thanks so so much for your quick response and info.

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not a fondant expert, but I read another thread just today where someone was saying to crumb coat to seal the crumbs, then put a light layer of icing over that ... not much, just a light coating... to adhere the fondant to. So my assumption is the crumb coat will be covered and that 2nd layer will be smoothed. It should be easier to smooth the 2nd layer.

Hopefully, someone with more fondant experience will jump in here and clarify that for both of us! icon_wink.gif

sayhellojana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:15am
post #5 of 6

I saw you posting on another thread earlier, you said you were using wilton fondant.

you should not be crumb coating with royal icing. Thats why the taste is too sweet and royal will only attract crumbs. Because it does not have a fat in it, it will never get smooth. If you don't like buttercream, I'm assuming you've tried ABC (american buttercream, where butter is mixed with powdered sugar) Try IMCB or SMBC, those buttercreams use cooked sugar instead of powdered sugar and are much easier to get smooth. They taste better, in my opinion, as well. Also, the frosting under fondant does need to be relatively smooth so your fondant doesnt show imperfections, but it doesnt need to be as flawless as a stand alone buttercream cake. Worry more about an even layer of buttercream for people to eat the cake with than about perfect smoothing.

cut-n-up Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:40am
post #6 of 6

I will try the bc recipes. Thanks to everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%