Ring Around Cake

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm by wendalynn11

sweetnessx3 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, When I ice a cake the filling seems to buldge out making a ring show around my cake ! I always leave about a half inch around the edges like I was taught in wilton classes but it still buldges out!

7 replies
reenie Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 8

I still have that problem every now and then even after 3 years at it. Do you let the cake sit for at least 20 minutes before you start frosting it? Also, If the leveled side of your cake is not as flat as possible (the dome cut totally off) you run a good chance of having bulge on the sides of your cake.

Niliquely Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 8

I have had that happen to me before too...I wonder if it is because the filling consistency is too thin?? Or maybe you could try a dam with a medium consistency BC and then fill with the thinner filling?

kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 8

Well the page is sooo screwed up I can't read your complete post or the answers already posted so this might be a repeat of what others say.
You might be using too much filling. Pipe your dam w/tip 12 - one layer only. Never fill over that line. Some people prefere to torte each 2" layer into 3 or 4 layers and usejust a smear of filling instead. HTH

leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #5 of 8

Filled cakes need time to settle. I try to give mine 24 hours. If I run short on time, then I fill, wrap with plastic then weight the top with a phone book. Everything compresses and no buldges.

sweetnessx3 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much ! This totally makes sense!

mindywith3boys Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

The best way to prevent a bulge is to use a nice stiff dam. Add enough PS to your icing to make it almost stiff enough to roll into a ball in your hand. I use an icing bag with just a coupler. It is hard to squeeze, but I have never had a bulge problem with a good dam. And I almost never give my cakes time to settle. Sometimes they are barely cooled enough. icon_redface.gif

HTH

wendalynn11 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 8

Can this stiffer dam be done with IMBC, or should the dam be made with crisco BC?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%