Figures For Top Of Cake

Decorating By scratchdog Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 10:49am by Molly2

scratchdog Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 4

I am making some karate figures for my sons cake and have been practicing with polymer clay. When I make it for the cake do I use fondant or gumpaste. Also where should I buy edible paint

3 replies
alidpayne Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 4

I would use a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste. Figures take a while, and if you use just gumpaste it will dry to quickly and get that cracked leathery look. If you use just fondant it will dry too slow, and you will have distortion and so forth. Half gumpaste & half fondant is the way to go.

As for painting I usually use regular icing colors or luster dust mixed with a little vodka. The vodka evaporates quickly & helps it dry.

Hope that helps.

Molly2 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 4

I have made figures and used 50/50 but I found that my figures end up having cracks I was told at the cake supply store and by some of the members here just use fondant or satin ice so this afternoon I'm going to make some figures of some Volleyball girls to see if this works

Molly2 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:49am
post #4 of 4

Will I made my own fondant and made a couple of figures they were to soft so I had to add gum paste. anybody else have any ideas as to how to make figures so they want crack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%