How To Make Spider Web?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 11:53am by practiceandpatience

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a Spider Man Cake and want to know how to make a web and what should I make it out of? I saw in amazing wedding cakes one time that they made a skull wedding cake and made web out of something I didnn't understand it looked stetchy. What can I do? Spider man needs a web or he is not spider man. Help.

12 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 13

I would love to know too. I saw that episode and it looked awesome. I was thinking of doing something like that for a halloween cake I have to do. I know she used royal icing to make it. I'm just not sure what the steps are after that. Did she maybe freeze it and then able to peel it off the wax paper? If anyone has info that would be great!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 13

If it was stretchy, it may have been made out of Sugarveil - a fairly new icing substance. Royal icing can be dried and peeled from waxed or parchment paper, but it's very fragile. Another option would be chocolate. If thick enough, it can be sturdier than royal icing.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 13

I've done a couple Spiderman cakes and I do royal icing webs. I just lay wax paper over a web printout and pipe it. Go thick or let each layer dry and go over it a couple times (just like a RI tiara) so it won't break. Then I just (carefully) peel off the wax paper. If you need to attach anything to the web just use more royal icing. Hope this helps!
I attached a picbut I'm not sure if I did it right!
LL

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 13

The web from the show was being discussed on another topic and someone else mentioned SugarVeil. I know Lauri in the show said she used royal icing. I was wondering if she added corn syrup or something to make it pliable like that...because she was able to peel if off the paper and bend it over the cake.
I'm curious to know, too.
You know what...Lauri has her own business now and her website is www.cakealchemy.com
I'm going to send her an email now and see if she responds!

jennifer7777 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 13

O.k. I sent the email. I will post the response if I get one.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 13

Here's a thread that started about 3 weeks ago. It should help you get the look you are trying to achieve.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604828.html

B2B

jennifer7777 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #8 of 13

Hey guys! Lauri responded to me!!! Here is her email...

Hi Jennifer,

The product I used is called sugarveil and it is a royal icing with
some gums added to it so it will be flexible for a period of time
before drying. You brush shortening on the parchment before piping so
it does not stick. You can look at their website
www.sugarveil.com and they will have all of the instructions.

Also you can buy boxes from ULine. They have just about every size youll need.

Thank you for your kind words and for watching the show.

Best,

Lauri

Well, there you have it...the best way to find things out is to ask questions. It was nice of her to respond. She seems sweet. Hope this helps!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:26am
post #9 of 13

That makes it easy enough. I'm so happy she wrote back! and thanks jennifer7777 for doing all that work to get us an answer. Very much appreciated.

jennifer7777 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrulyexotic

thanks jennifer7777 for doing all that work to get us an answer. Very much appreciated.

No problem. I want to do an experiment, though. Since sugarveil seems to be royal icing with gum additives, I wonder if I can make a batch of RI and add gumtex or tylose to it. There is another thread where a fellow member made her own concoction of egg whites, marshmallow fluff (I think), and some other stuff. She said it turned out the way sugarveil is described.
Who knows when I'll ever try it...but when I do, I'll post the outcome.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 13

I came across this cake and thought the web was pretty cool.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1276656

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 13

This is a "veil" I made last weekfrom Sugarveil icing. Very pliable, and drapes perfectly....I think this is the answer to your "webby" dilemma!
LL

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:53am
post #13 of 13

For the spider web on this cake. I used fondant and a clay gun, and piped out strings and "wove" a web and placed it over the cakes.
It was actually quite easy

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_844373.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%