Sell Or Give?

Decorating By saberger Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm by indydebi

saberger Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 10

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I found a good recipe for brownies, which has spinach and blueberries in it - which ALL of the moms and kids around here LOVE. Many of you may know where I got the recipe from, but a lot of these people don't.

Anyway, I have been asked several times for the recipe and have just kind of laughed at it. Last night I brought some to a party and all five moms asked for the recipe. One even went so far as to say" so, you can email it (to the host) and then she'll send it to us."

My DH thinks I should just give it to them, since I am just in the 'decorating' biz and not the bakery biz. I think that if I have hit upon something that people want, then I should try to sell it. I mean, I want to try to sell the choc. covered oreos, decorated cookies, etc. So why not this?! AND - as a baker, who gives their recipes away to potential customers? Since they know the overall ingredients, they could just as easily do a search on the internet for the recipe. right?

So, my question is this: what should I do without kicking myself in he butt? TIA

9 replies
Mike1394 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 10

I know this is next to committing murder in some eyes. Pssssst there aren't any original recipes out there. They can all be duplicated. It really isn't that hard. I used to be one of those I created this. How dare you even to ask for my secret. You can even find the recipe for the holy grail of all secret recipes. KFC secret herbs, and spices.

Mike

saberger Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 10

You're right Mike - completely. I know that anything can be found...if one looks for it.....which they totally could if they really want to find it and I don't discourage them from doing that if they want. But what if I could sell it instead of giving them the recipe?

pastryjen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 10

I'd be inclined to give it to them...I just looked up the recipe and I wouldn't wanna make, it would take too long.

Chances are, after making it once, they'd wanna buy a pan of these brownies made by someone else.

mixinvixen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 10

no no no!

laugh it off and say it's your signature dish..can't give away the secret!!!

what happens if you give it to someone, and then one of them takes it and starts selling it....how would that make you feel? if that idea doesn't bother you, then give it to them. but if it gets your goat, so to speak, then hold it tight to your chest, smile and decline the demand for sharing (which is kind of rude, i think, to keep asking for it), and make it your secret!!!!!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

I know this is next to committing murder in some eyes. Pssssst there aren't any original recipes out there. They can all be duplicated. It really isn't that hard. I used to be one of those I created this. How dare you even to ask for my secret. You can even find the recipe for the holy grail of all secret recipes. KFC secret herbs, and spices.

Mike

ok Mike... make my day icon_razz.gif and tell me where to find that secret recipe from the Colonel... icon_biggrin.gif *Inquiring minds.....*

Mike1394 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

ok Mike... make my day icon_razz.gif and tell me where to find that secret recipe from the Colonel... icon_biggrin.gif *Inquiring minds.....*

Let me look. I used to have a site in my favs that had recipes for all restaurant foods.

Mike

sugarcheryl Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 10

This was a good question because if you plan to use that recipe to sell a product you wouldn't want your potential clients have the recipe. I also agree there are not original.

saberger Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 10

Mixinvixen - I would actually feel a little miffed that I hadn't done the selling first.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of saying it's my signature dish or my secret recipe, but then what do I say..."I am glad you like it, it happens to be one of my bestsellers?" Hey...that's not a bad idea... and then I can tell them how much they are? What do you think?

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Chances are, after making it once, they'd wanna buy a pan of these brownies made by someone else.

When people ask for my oatmeal cookie recipe, I just shrug and tell 'em, "It's on the box." But we can be side by side, in the same kitchen, making the same cookies ..... and mine will come out better than theirs. Or at least "different".

We saw a sign at a craft fair once that pretty much sums it up: "Yes, you COULD make it yourself .... but WILL you?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%