Fallen Wedding Cake

Decorating By TiffTurtle Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm by tonicake

TiffTurtle Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:54am
post #1 of 10

I know i havent posted in eons but I had to get this out to people who will inderstand.
I have not done that many wedding cakes...ok 3 to be exact...well , i have read the stories on here and prayed that I would never have to post one. well my time has come.
I was asked to do a floater that consisted of 3 cakes. I asked the bride many times to bring me the cake stands so that i could see them before i delivered the cake and she never did. she assured me that they were top quality. I should have known better.
The day of the wedding I arrive with the cakes only to discover that the "stands" are all styrofoam and singles. ok so i had to go with it. First cake goes up fine. Second cake however not so good. No sooner than i start to let my hands go i hear a POP..the styrofoam cracks under the weight of the cake and the cake goes to the floor right there in the hall while the staff looks on.
I cried the whole time im cleaning up this cake that is totaly shot. beyond repair. specially since when it fell it knocked over a glass vase and now has glass all in it.
I was able to set up the rest of the cake and she loved what i had done with it thank goodness. but i dont think i have cried that much in a long time. It hurts to see something that you put so much into go crashing to the floor like that.
As soon as i can get the pics dl'ed i will post for you too see.
Thanks for listening!

9 replies
FromScratch Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:06am
post #2 of 10

((((hugs)))) Tiff.

Top quality styro huh? Silly bride. At least she did throw a tantrum over it all or something. You deserve a big stiff drink girl. I'm sure your cakes were beautiful and I can't wait to see pictures. I would have cried like a baby too.

chrissy410 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:11am
post #3 of 10

I'm sorry that happened to you. I had a disaster of my own once too. It wasn't a wedding cake, but it was a barn cake that I had worked for days. I was in tears too. Don't worry. I can't say you can look back at it and laugh right now, but at least it was a learning experience. I know exactly how you felt! I'm glad the bride was still happy!

Molly2 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:33am
post #4 of 10

I am so sorry that happened to you I feel your pain this pass Thursday an friend of mine asked me to make a cake for her brothers rehearsal dinner I agreed I knew when I agreed to this that she would have to set it up herself because the wedding was out of town and she would have to travel with this cake. When I travel with my cakes I make sure they are sitting level and nothing is around them to fall on it and I explained all this to my friend when I agreed to do this, will when she arrived that morning to pick up the cake it was a western theme and it had cowboy boots as a topper they were made of RKT covered in fondant I even put dowels in the boots to try to keep them from tipping so I handed this really cute cake over to her and repeated again to her make sure this cake is sitting flat will she walks out the door to her car and what do I see her do she puts the cake on the seat and shuts the door Iâm thinking oh my gosh that cake is not going to make it will my curiosity got the best of me so that evening I called her and asked if the cake made it ok she said âWill one of the boots came off but I fixed it the best way I knew how I think it will be okâ. It really up set me because first of all I explained to her how to travel with this cake I put extra effort into doweling and packing and she didnât even try to be careful with it I knew that because I stood at my window and watched her put it in her car on the BACK SEAT I feel your pain

FromScratch Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:49am
post #5 of 10

I always put the cake in the car for them.. it's my special service to them (read my make-sure-they-don't-do-something-STUPID-and f-their-cake-up-and-try-to-blame-me service). icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

angelatx Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:07am
post #6 of 10

gee really sorry that went so wrong. life is about learning tho. icon_biggrin.gif so its ok, its over with. so don't feel too bad about it. whats done is done. tomorrow is a new day and have a great one!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 10

I started out to put it in her car and she insisted she was in a hurry and would take it herself so I didn't argue I fig. it was hers, go for it; but it wasn't even 5 min that I repeated as to how it was suppose the be placed in the car and when I talked to her I even told her she shouldn't have put it on the seat and she said "thats the only place I had room for it". my point is just like TiffTurtle said It hurts to see something that you put so much into go crashing to the floor or that it didn't look the way you sent it I know its a new day and their will be other cakes and other incidents where something goes wrong but it still hurts I only make cakes as a hobby it's not my career. anyway I did my part and Tiffturtle did her best but other people just didn't follow though but expect it to work out and it doesn't and what gets me is they don't understand why.

FromScratch Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 10

Well yes.. why would gravity all of a sudden just work? icon_wink.gif Cake muggles just don't think in terms of physics and logic when it comes to cake. 5 tiered monster cakes just stand up all mythemselves with no support after all.. didn't you know? icon_lol.gif AND they can be turned upside down with little to no ill effect.

I hope you are feeling better now Tiff. ((hugs))

mouse13 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 10

Cake muggles

I love that...lol
Sorry to hear about your cake. (((HUGS))) Glad the bride didn't yell at you for her misstake . Keep your chin up.

tonicake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 10

I am sorry this happened, that really stinks! I hope you charged the bride full price and didn't discount! After all it was her cheap cruddy stand she had to have. Maybe in the future, let the bride know that you can not use a stand you have not seen or approved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%