Please Help! Cake Due In The Morning!

Decorating By mommy2djb Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm by mommy2djb

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:17am
post #1 of 19

I have a 4-tier cake to deliver tomorrow. It is close to being done, but I'm stuck. The bride wants interlocking hearts around the sides of all 4 tiers, and I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I am not comfortable free-handing them. I bought a Wilton cookie cutter that I thought I could use as a guide, but the shape of it is all wrong. Can anyone give me any pointers for how to do this? I'm struggling and I'm tired!

Thank you all!!!

18 replies
missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:31am
post #2 of 19

i don't know if i can help, but i can try.... why is the shape cutters you have wrong?

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:33am
post #3 of 19

You could print out the interlocking hearts on the printer and lay them on the cake. Use the pin-prick method to transfer the pattern onto the cake. Remove the pattern and follow the pin-pricks for your piping. For spacing, I would measure around the cake and create a pattern that wraps all the way around and then do the pin-pricks. That way, you wouldn't have to deal with spacing them also. HTH - nothing worse than getting so close to finish only to hit a wall.

Good luck!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:54am
post #4 of 19

Why are the cookie cutters not the right look? You know what you could do is use the cookie cutters anyway & just add a bit of swirl to the bottoms and tops of them. There is a cake that I have in my photos like this (it's a plain white cake with the chocolate heart on top & scrolls on the side).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - I have a cake due tomorrow too & my fondant is not cooperating! Not fun at 2am!!

Good luck to you!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:21am
post #5 of 19

Have you tried the cookie cutters at different angles? Like pointing the bottoms sort'a toward each other so they interlock nicer?

Just a thought - good luck!!

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:40am
post #6 of 19

Can you draw the hearts on paper then do a gel trace? I hope you get it done in time. Good luck

mommy2djb Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 19

Thank you for everyone's suggestions! I cut the pattern out of cardstock and might a light impression using that, and then piped over them. Ugh - I'm so tired, only 3 hours sleep! The kids don't really care if you've been up all night making cakes, they still want breakfast! icon_smile.gif

mommy2djb Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 19

Well it's far from perfect, but I finished it!

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:57am
post #9 of 19

It's BEAUTIFUL! icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #10 of 19

You did a wonderful job and the hearts are so cute!

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:23am
post #11 of 19

Its a beautiful cake !! You did a great job . icon_smile.gif

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #12 of 19

Is anyone else having trouble reading the whole post? Everything in the fourm posts have part of the right side cut off for me.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieC

Is anyone else having trouble reading the whole post? Everything in the fourm posts have part of the right side cut off for me.

I'm having trouble too...

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:38am
post #14 of 19

Try zooming out...someone else suggested it earlier. Worked for me!

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #15 of 19

Now not only is the right side cut off but the add banners are on top of everything instead of to the side.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:03am
post #16 of 19

mommy2djb your cake is beautiful! I had to go to your photos so I could view the picture. I could only see part of it in the forums, that goes for the post also.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:44am
post #17 of 19

Your cake turned out GREAT! You shouldn't have been scared to freehand those...especially white on white. If your cake icing has crusted, you can usually wipe off any additional decoration added later(white) if need be....without messing up the cake.

I do understand the fear of freehand though....I don't write on my cakes for just that same reason! I cannot write and if I have to, I get so nervous that it makes it even worse!

GREAT JOB!!! thumbs_up.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #18 of 19

that is beautiful! you should be proud! can i ask what type of cake it is (fruit cake?) and also how you stacked it? is it royal iced? thanks!

mommy2djb Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

that is beautiful! you should be proud! can i ask what type of cake it is (fruit cake?) and also how you stacked it? is it royal iced? thanks!

The top 2 tiers are WASC, the 3rd down is Triple Chocolate, and the bottom is a marble of the two. Frosting is a variation of SugarShack recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%