Wish I Hadn't Seen That

Decorating By momma28 Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm by superstar

momma28 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 33

So I spend 4 days working on this guitar cake for a friends 14 yr old sons bday. It comes out great. She is thrilled. She calls her son and his friends in to see the cake. She leaves the room to go write me a check and one of the teenage boys puts their thumb through the side of the cake. It had only been there 5 minutes. I gasped (reflex I guess, I should have stayed quiet) she heard me and yelled from the other room, "what did you boys do?" They disappeared. I tried to smooth it out again but the damage was done. I wish I had already left. It took me three hours of on and off smoothing to get that buttercream smooth. Oh well.

32 replies
Parable Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #2 of 33

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I feel your pain!

nickymom Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #3 of 33

UGH! I know it "hurts" to see stuff like that!

cakepanpam Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:44am
post #4 of 33

I saw a little boy stick his fingers through a cake a the bakery I go to.... it was a beautiful baby shower cake. They had the cake sitting up high on the counter but the little boy still managed to reach up and touch the cake. I didn't have my son with me that day or they may have thought he did it because I am always in there with him. I know the mom saw her boy do this because they quickly left the bakery after she noticed.

Horselady Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:16am
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepanpam

I saw a little boy stick his fingers through a cake a the bakery I go to.... it was a beautiful baby shower cake. They had the cake sitting up high on the counter but the little boy still managed to reach up and touch the cake. I didn't have my son with me that day or they may have thought he did it because I am always in there with him. I know the mom saw her boy do this because they quickly left the bakery after she noticed.

This is why I don't have a child...i'd have been in jail or something for warming his butt all the way to the car....Why can't parents teach kids to keep their hands to themselves? I Would have NEVER done that as a child...when I was young enough to not know better my mom watched like a hawk and when I was older I'd had my hinny/hands/face (whatever was doing the 'offending') warmed enough to know better...

GenGen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:41am
post #6 of 33

on defense of that note- keeping hands to themselves.. try as i might- when we'd go grocery shopping my two boys had to start touching everything.. we tried everything to get them to stop. it was very frustrating. finaly we tried having them each in charge of putting certain items in the cart or carrying certain items to keep their hands full ex: toilet paper, paper towels etc. that worked for a while.. even had to resort to " you touch it you buy it"... and we know of course that didn't work.. at least i don't remember if it did.. mine are 17 and 15 now.. lol..

so i did try.. w/o resortin to something close to tying their hands up lol they still could not keep their curious hands to themselves.

one store we went shopping at for a while had an instoreo "drop off """day care""" so to speak.. gave you up to one hour and up to a certain age for kids while you shopped. then when they were too old for it i think thats when included them more in to helping with the shopping experience etc..

sometimes giving them an item ex like a favorite cereal to carry and pay for at the check outstand helps too

oops.. sorry i rambled and was off topic ...

aaaaaanyways hope this helps Some one a bit icon_biggrin.gif

GI Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:12am
post #7 of 33

Aaaaah, gone are the days when you can literally paddle your kid in public without the police being called upon! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My brothers grew up with hands stuck in their pockets. Geeze, we didn't even realize they had hands for the longest time! We always thought their arms were just an extension of their jeans' pockets! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

dezzib27 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #8 of 33

icon_lol.gif I am a fan of pinching! Nobody knows what you are doing to the kid! I also carry a wooden spoon in my purse icon_evil.gif I have 3 boys, it is all I can do to keep my sanity!!! But sticking fingers in the cake would definitely get a whoopn! icon_mad.gif

Ariginal Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:37am
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

So I spend 4 days working on this guitar cake for a friends 14 yr old sons bday. It comes out great. She is thrilled. She calls her son and his friends in to see the cake. She leaves the room to go write me a check and one of the teenage boys puts their thumb through the side of the cake. It had only been there 5 minutes. I gasped (reflex I guess, I should have stayed quiet) she heard me and yelled from the other room, "what did you boys do?" They disappeared. I tried to smooth it out again but the damage was done. I wish I had already left. It took me three hours of on and off smoothing to get that buttercream smooth. Oh well.

Oh i know what you mean... i had made our ex-boss a xmas cake with 3 skiing snowmen on it as that is what they are into and were heading over to canada for the skiing season and no sooner had i put it on their bench in a box that one of the twin girls (6 at the time) promptly pulled off one of the snowmen to which the head then fell off... hmmm i just smiled to the boss as she profusely apologised and felt so embarrassed...

Sugarflowers Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:37am
post #10 of 33

The thought of touching anything without permission was a major infraction when I was a kid. My parents could probably make a drill seargent worry. icon_smile.gif

I did the hands in the pocket thing. My boys consider me to be a drill seargent too. Well, at least the oldest did until he actually joined the Army. At least he was prepared. icon_lol.gif

Sorry your work was ruined. Think of it this way, it was going to be cut and eaten pretty soon anyway.

Micheleo

GI Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:02am
post #11 of 33

Sugarflowers - your boy was prepared for the Service by the BEST! icon_biggrin.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:07am
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Sugarflowers - your boy was prepared for the Service by the BEST! icon_biggrin.gif

THANKS!

mixinvixen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 33

i have taught my almost 5 yr old little girl, from the time she was old enough to have ears icon_biggrin.gif , that when we go in a store, it's HANDS DOWN!!!!!! this goes for bakeries, walmart, the mall, and even yard sales. we shopped the other day in an antique mall and she did perfect!! i was so proud!!

mymomandmecakes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 33

IT was delivered.....out of your hands....I pray they make it to the place. Then I can relax. I had delivered a wedding cake prior to the wedding and I was told as the bride and groom saw the cake a 3 year old walked up and bam....had a hand full of butter cream!!! The catering people who were there tried to smooth it but ended up cutting out that piece and just serving the rest...thank god I had pictures so that they could have them for thier album...but it is heart breaking to see someone make an imperfection to something you worked too hard to make perfect!

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

we shopped the other day in an antique mall and she did perfect!! i was so proud!!

When my granddaughter was somewhere between 2 and 3, we went to an antique mall ... since I collect antique asian china, we were in the "breakables" section! She did very good! She even told me once, when I mentioned how pretty this dish would look on my shelf, "Banna, you have to PAY for it FIRST!"

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:

I gasped ....

Happened to me yesterday ..... bride and groom had ballons scattered on the floor. Little girl about 4 picked up a balloon, was batting it around ... and it came down against the top tier of the cake! I was standing off to the side and did the same as you ... a big gasp!! Mom looked up at me, then reprimanded the kid about bouncing balloons near the cake!

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 33

What the He** is a teenage boy doing putting his finger in a cake anyway!! icon_confused.gif How old is he..... icon_mad.gif

CNCS Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm
post #18 of 33

Ive seen it happen many times.

Then the parent either dissappears or acts like it didnt happen.

kmoores Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm
post #19 of 33
Quote:

I've had a cake sitting on my island waiting for pick up and a child that my kids play with came and stuck their fingers in it! icon_mad.gif I lost it. Every child on my street now knows that they cannot touch my cakes. Word seems to spread rapidly with children! LOL

Sweettooth1120 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:06pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

What the He** is a teenage boy doing putting his finger in a cake anyway!! icon_confused.gif How old is he..... icon_mad.gif

Yesterday I made a tank cake ( I will post the pictures later) and all the 8 year olds just stared at it. BUt it was the one uncle, or cousin that had to be 18 or so that kept touching it. He said " I just want to poke my finger in it." I told him to grow the he** up and he could put his fingers in his own piece as many times as he wanted but he better keep his grubby fingers off the cake.

I guess it doesnt matter how old they are. Some of them never grow out of it.

janebrophy Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:19pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzib27

icon_lol.gif I am a fan of pinching! Nobody knows what you are doing to the kid! I also carry a wooden spoon in my purse icon_evil.gif I have 3 boys, it is all I can do to keep my sanity!!! But sticking fingers in the cake would definitely get a whoopn! icon_mad.gif

LMAO!! I have 3 boys too, and although I don't pinch them, (they'd scream blue murder) I always use the threat of the wooden spoon. I don't even use it, just knowing I own one is enough! LOL! They do know NEVER to touch a cake - that's one thing they take very seriously! LOL!

calivettie Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #22 of 33

Boy, do I feel your pain.
I worked for ous on my very first fondant sculptures and was very proud of myself. Although the cake was just for my BF family, I still wanted it to look nice, spent time to get it smooth and such.

The cake is there about 2 minutes and then someone just takes a bite out of my fondant figures. I tried not to make it noticeable that I was a bit shocked... I mean I know cakes are supposed to be eaten, but I guess I wanted a little appreciation or some "oohhing and aahhing" lol.

I guess I'm kind of selfish like that! icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:25am
post #23 of 33

Oh god. Funny that this topic is about kids and cake... "the boyfriend" wants to talk marriage and kids soon. Not so sure I want the latter. Being a mom sounds SCARY!

momma28 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #24 of 33

Thanks icon_smile.gif I was heartbroken that it didnt last more than 5 minutes but thats life.

At least it would force them to cut it, the mom actually said it was so beautiful she wanted to go buy a kroger sheet cake and serve that so she would have to ruin the cake! I told her she better eat it, it tastes better than it looks!

Deb_ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #25 of 33

I think we all experience "Baker's separation anxiety" with our cakes. I know they have to be cut and eaten, but freakin' teenagers better not stick their fingers in it! icon_mad.gif

You wonder about the behavior of kids today........look at the parents.

My niece in Scotland, a Social Worker, was reading "Why You Should Never Say The Word No To Your Child". Yea, I just laughed at that, can't wait to see what her kid grows up like.

cakepanpam Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:48pm
post #26 of 33

I have 4 children, all grown now except my youngest 4 year old and he is in to everything but I do try very hard. Some kids just don't obey as well as other's but it doesn't mean they are horrible children. And some people think that some parent's don't try and get on to their kids but they don't know how hard it is sometimes. But I do love my child very much and I do love kids. You have to remember, they are just kids but they do need dissaplined.

muddpuppy Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #27 of 33

You can't expect a 5 year old to act like a 25 year old.. things happen, even with the most well behaived child, ever child will make mistakes. [/quote]

momma28 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:32pm
post #28 of 33

I have six children (and 2 in heaven) and my 3 yr old is a very strong willed young boy who is my greatest challenge. I am not blaming parents of young children for their misbehaving (not sure how this topic got to that place) but this was a 14 yr old young man.

I think if a mom goes out of her way to have a cake made to look just like his electric guitar and pays that much for it, the least he could do is not destroy it before she can even take a picture of it. I sent her pictures I had taken before leaving because she was upset about that.

sweetness_221 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #29 of 33

I don't mind my kids touching certain things like the noisy toys at the store or something like that. There's a time and a place for it. But if it's something breakable they know better. They know if they touch anything like that then they are going to be in the biggest trouble ever! All I have to say is "Don't touch it's a breakable" and they leave it alone. I say it sometimes even when it's not a breakable. It doesn't work so much for my 9 yr old DD. She's more aware of what's breakable and what's not. I just give her the evil look and she stops. As for swatting my kids in the store I have no problem with it. If they are acting up they will get a swat on the butt to correct the problem. I've had dirty looks from other people and all I say is "Mind your own business! It's not like I'm beating her." Usually they just turn around real quick and leave me alone. It just irritates me that people have to put there nose into everyone else's business. If I was beating the crud out of my child in the middle of the store then yes you can get involved, but a swat to the butt or hand....please. Get out of my business. Ok I'll get off of my soap box now.

lifonahil Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm
post #30 of 33

I taught my girls if it didnt belong to you, then you did not touch it. I was a very strick mom. Thats why it drives me crazy when my brothers kids come over and they get into everything. And they break stuff. We work hard for our stuff and i don't want it broken. I should not have to child proof my home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%