Our Website

Business By Sweet_Guys Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 2:55am by JenWhitlock

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

hey Antonia -

Thought you'd like to know, Jaques Pastries is one of my local 5-Star competitors icon_lol.gif. Well, not really a competitor, as I would be considered a fly speck on the wall compared to him - but I see his work featured all the time around here. Great stuff, and he does have amazing photos.

Wow, that's great! I'd love to see his cakes in person. Do they look as perfect as the pics? Ever tasted one?

As for you not being a competitor, rubbish! I just checked out your website. Your cakes are beautiful!! I saved some pics to my favourites, really cool. icon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:44pm
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

hey Antonia -

Thought you'd like to know, Jaques Pastries is one of my local 5-Star competitors icon_lol.gif. Well, not really a competitor, as I would be considered a fly speck on the wall compared to him - but I see his work featured all the time around here. Great stuff, and he does have amazing photos.

Wow, that's great! I'd love to see his cakes in person. Do they look as perfect as the pics? Ever tasted one?

I haven't seen any in person yet, but he's listed on many the top-rated wedding locales here as a preferred wedding cake supplier. He just blows my mind.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:59pm
post #33 of 63

Most of the box sets come from Life of the Party.

Paul & Peter

Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:01pm
post #34 of 63

Hey, everyone!

We have been blessed to have some truly wonderful suggestions. Currently, the laptop (which has the website data) is backing up and downloading some files. We are getting closer to the published date and we will let you all know then to get some second opinions.

The pictures, however, cannot be changed at the moment. So, as we move on, we will definitely use a backdrop of some sort to "standardize" the look!

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. We've been working really hard on this trying to streamline the site and make things look better!

Paul & Peter

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #35 of 63

Hello, fellow CCers!

Well, the long-awaited new and improved website is up and running for your critiques.

Remember, pictures we're changing as we can afford a camera and we're not using dates from this point forward.

Feel free to browse and offer some suggestions!

Paul & Peter (whew! glad we're done---for now!)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:44am
post #36 of 63

Now there is a LOT more pop on that site!! Congrats! I like that you used colors that kind of fit in with your logo!

The only critique I have is... is it possible to remake your logo? I know you made it a lot bigger per suggestions you received and I think that was a smart move... but you might want to remake it on a larger scale so the graphics are clearer.

You guys took a huge step in the right direction! I think you will be much happier with you results!!

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:46am
post #37 of 63

Thanks, Melvira!

We're still looking for the disk with the graphics on there. We paid good money to have the logo done, so, no, we're not going to go through the path of redoing it. We KNOW the disk is here someplace. Probably mixed up with all of the neat cake decorating supplies we've purchased!!!

Paul & Peter

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:05am
post #38 of 63

Ah, yes! Been there, done that!! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Well, good luck finding it! I really like the changes you've made. I like how you put the cake pix in a sort of table... looks so organized and tidy, as well as more polished! A great move guys!

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:11pm
post #39 of 63

Thanks, Melvira!

We appreciate your comments and suggestions!

Paul & Peter

missmeg Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:12pm
post #40 of 63

Hey guys -

I'd just tweek your homepage paragraph like this, as it reads much better:

We pride ourselves on creating treats from scratch
just like mom and grandma made. Using
high-quality, fresh ingredients, we believe in creating
products at a reasonable price.
As you browse through our directory, realize that
these are only ideas of past projects. We will work with
you to custom-tailor your order to meet the desired needs
for your special event.
Let Sweet Guys help you indulge your taste buds!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:28pm
post #41 of 63

I just checked out the new updates and absolutely love it!!!!!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm
post #42 of 63

Sweetguys, your site ROCKS now! That dark raspberry color totally drew me in when your home page came up!

Great way to display your pics; the collage on the front and the thumbnails look cleanly laid out and uncluttered. I like the way you put your bios on the same page; give a good "team" impression.

I understand what was mentioned about your logo. I love your logo, it's just that when you enlarge a photo or graphic, it can sometimes get pixelated and tend to look blurry and blockish on screen. I really don't know how to fix that without playing around with it on my own computer. icon_smile.gif It's not that you have to redesign your logo; just reprogram it to appear more clearly on a larger scale. Could be something you could do yourselves. Maybe that's the disk you refer to?

Best of luck! Your site is wonderfully professional looking!

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #43 of 63

Miss Meg---

Love your suggestion. Do you mind if we copy it and paste it into the site?

Paul & Peter

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #44 of 63

Thanks, Jill!

Hugs!

Paul & Peter

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:22pm
post #45 of 63

Skichic----

The disk we were referring to is from the developer of our logo. There's another file on there that we believe is more website compatible. It's just a matter of digging up the blankety-blank-blank disk! LOL

Paul & Peter

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:40pm
post #46 of 63

I'm working on my NEW website right now as well using "page breeze" to build it basically from scratch!!! I'm looking to embed a gallery for my photos where it'll show thumbnails on one side and a larger photo on the other side and found this and thought maybe you guys could use it too

http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/porta/

it's completely free, takes like 10 seconds to download and all you do is put the photos you want into a folder and click on it and it turns the whole folder into an album, it can also be embedded on a website using html though I'm still working on that (DH is the computer guy and I'm just learning as I go and he's got the flu!)

*edited to say: here is my new album I made in literally 30 seconds!!! I can't wait to figure out how to embed it, you can compare it against my current website (which is through freewebs......I used up all the space I could with all my cake photos, hence the need for a NEW website)

NEW SITE ALBUM
http://tinyurl.com/6knmk8

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:45pm
post #47 of 63

Thanks, K!

I have to run, but I'll come back later and check it all out!

Paul (& Peter)

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:33pm
post #48 of 63

Your site is looking good, guys!

missmeg Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:34pm
post #49 of 63

Paul & Peter -

That was my intention icon_smile.gif. I've done content editing in a former life, so just tweeked it a bit for grammar and stuff.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:28pm
post #50 of 63

Hi Paul and Peter! (I really want to call you Peter and Paul for some reason) icon_confused.gif

I just wanted to share with you the website...... www.picnik.com

I had some really crappy photos and that website allowd me to do wonders for FREE! You can also watermark you photos on that site. That feature is found under the "create" section.

As far as cameras, I agree the Cannon Rebel is awesome. My friend has one, but they are around $900!!!!! icon_eek.gif My husband researched online and ended up buying me a Fujifilm Finepix S1000 and I LOVE IT!!! It is perfect for me and was only around $200. He ordered it online from a company because it wasn't available in stores yet.

HTH, MessyBaker

Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #51 of 63

Thanks, Miss Meg!

Messy Baker, your ideas and suggestions are wonderful. Thanks! And just for you...

Peter & Paul icon_smile.gif

bchristianson17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchristianson17 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:41am
post #52 of 63

Hi! I got to this thread a lil late, but your website looks nice & professional. I do have a concern though . . icon_confused.gif On your website, you have it as "custom-taylor" and I believe (I could be wrong) that its supposed to be spelled "custom-tailor". . I checked it out on a Word document, but you might want to check with someone who had an English major. Haha. But great job on the website! And cute dogs!!

Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:34am
post #53 of 63

Thanks, b!

You're right! Those pesky homophones got to us!

Paul & Peter

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:31pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Thanks, Miss Meg!

Messy Baker, your ideas and suggestions are wonderful. Thanks! And just for you...

Peter & Paul icon_smile.gif

HeHe! Why, you're welcome.......Peter & Paul! icon_wink.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:01am
post #55 of 63

Hey Peter & Paul,

I have just come back from visiting your new site!!! WOW!!!! thumbs_up.gif What a great upgrade. I really like the new color of the backgrounds!!!

Seems like you guys are on the way. I am sure to see much more exciting stuff in the future.

Keep up the great work. thumbs_up.gif

Donna

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:14am
post #56 of 63

front page says "taylor" instead of "tailor"

Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #57 of 63

Thanks, Kory...I haven't had time to get onto the computer with the program...I'm planning on fixing that tonight or tomorrow.

Paul

Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:05pm
post #58 of 63

Alright, folks! The "taylor" and "tailor" fix has been made...Some gingerbread houses have been added, along with a cute duck cake we did last spring...Finally found the picture....

Thanks for all the input!

Paul (& Peter)

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 5:41pm
post #59 of 63

OMG! I use sitebuilder too! I have my cake site, my fiance's Christmas Decor site www.needchristmasdecor.com, and my dance competition site www.topsntexas.com I built all of them with sitebuilder. I have to laugh, you used the same template you chose. I use to use for my adult novelty cake site Kinky Kakes (decided to not advertise these cakes any more...I work part time for a church...wouldn't be a great thing ya know for them to think I did those kinds of cakes...lol)

I use to have a guy do my site, but he was very slow with updates and his fees were rediculous! And since, I did a small stint in my early 20's as a computer programmer (1 year in a think tank was all I could handle!) I figured I could do this myself, it works great!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #60 of 63

I don't know if the version I use of Internet Explorer or just my computer, but the website doesn't fit on the screen. It cuts off the words on the side.

HTH

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%