Satin Ice

Decorating By lilscakes Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 3:42am by BlakesCakes

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 3

I want to order Satin Ice for a wedding cake I will be making. I've never used it before and thought rather than fight myself trying to achieve a black colour I would simply buy it. I've never used Satin Ice and wonder if anyone can tell me how much a 5 lb. bucket will cover. I am looking to do a 3 layer stacked whimsical cake . Also for anyone who has used this product before can yo advise the shelf life of this product? When rolling it, do I use a little crisco rather than powdered sugar? Thanks in advance for your anticipated responses! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 3

. . . here's a guideline . . . http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/CAKE_SHOPPE/Fondant_Gumpaste_%20Accessories/Rolled_Fondant_Icing/Rolled_Fondant_Quantity_Chart/rolled_fondant_quantity_chart.htm . . . as far as crisco vs. powdered sugar . . . if your fondant is sticky use PS . . . if it is dry use crisco . . . HTH . . . I'm sure you will enjoy working it (it is very user friendly - even for first timers) . . . good luck & have fun . . . icon_biggrin.gif . . . oh, and it tastes pretty good too . . . icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:42am
post #3 of 3

I use Satin Ice almost exclusively and I love the pre-made black. It does tend to be on the soft side, so I often mix it with about 1/3rd Wilton to stiffen it up a bit. It remains quite black, but less stretchy.

I'd suggest using a smear of crisco only for rolling, especially when using dark colors like black. PS increases stickiness and CS is a drying agent that can lead to elephant skin (and if mixed in with leftovers can sometimes cause fermentation).

If you avoid the white powders, you won't have the issue of trying to get it off after the fact.

Just my .02
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%