Found A Fondant!!!

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 9

Just had to share because im so excited and relieved!!

I am really interested into going from baking traybakes and chocolate cakes just spread with buttercream into decorated cakes and cupcakes and last week I had my first attempt at sugarpaste which was a total and utter disaster! it keep sticking to the work surface and my hands and no matter how much sugar i added it just wasnt workable - i was so disheartened!

this week i got The International School of Sugarcraft Book 1 from the library and made their gelatine icing which is supposed to not be sticky, dry firm enough to support another tier but still cut nicely and is also suitable for modelling and............it was perfect!!!!!!!!!!

First i rolled and covered a cake with it (and did the little balls round the base) and then started using my cutters on the leftovers to see how long you could work with it, etc. it is a dream! it moves so well, never sticks to your pin, hands or surface and can be rolled and rerolled and cut, frilled and tinted with paste colour so well! i even made my first bow and a lovely pink rose! it has a lovely matte satin finish.

Im just delighted to have found a recipe that works for me! its just icing sugar, gelatine, glucose, glycerine, water and a couple of drops of vanilla or almond extract!

Really looking forward to making my first proper cake for my portfolio next week - il post pics then. im planning a two tier white cake with baby pink, baby blue and pale green balls and a bow and either spots, flowers or heart cut outs!!

8 replies
momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 9

That sounds great. DO SHARE the recipe PLEASE!!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 9

YES!!! Do share!! I am always looking for a new recipe!!!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 9

I've had this recipe for awhile (cant remember where I found it) Is this close to the recipe and please tell us how it tastes?

Gelatin Icing

Gelatin icing is an extremely useful icing to have in your repertoire because it sets very hard. It can be used to make things that you want to stand proud from the cake (from delicate flowers and leaves to flags, sails or even turrets). It can also be moulded over objects and left to take on its shape. It can be coloured in the same way as sugarpaste and also has the added benefit of being usable straight away.

TIP: If, when you come to use it, you find that either the gelatin or modeling icing has become too hard, you can soften it by microwaving it on full power for just 4 - 5 seconds.

Ingredients:
60 ml (4 tbsp) water
1 sachet (approx 12g/1oz or enough to set 60ml/1 pint) gelatin powder
10 ml (2 tsp) liquid glucose
500g (1lb 2 oz/ 4 1/2 cups) icing sugar
1 - 4 tbsp cornflour

1. Place the water in a small, heat-proof bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and leave it to soak for about two minutes. Sieve the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Put about 1 cm (3/4 in) of water into a saucepan. Stand the bowl in the water and heat gently until the gelatin dissolves.
3. Remove the bowl from the water and stir in the liquid glucose. Allow to cool for a minute.
4. Tip the gelatin mixture into the centre of the icing sugar. Using a knife, begin to stir it in. When it has bound together, knead it into a bread-dough consistency adding cornflour as required. Store in small plastic bags until required.

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 9

I would also love to know the recipie. mmf is a nightmare for me so I would really like an alternative.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 9

wrightway, I'm guessing that recipe isn't near the same as she was using it to cover a cake and that one is more like gumpaste.

Cathy26 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 9

The recipe is gelatine icing -

750g icing sugar
45ml water
15g powdered gelatin
15 ml glycerine
45ml glucose
couple of drops of vanilla or almond essence

warm the water and gelatine and stir until dissolved. add the other liquid ingredients and stir until liquid and warm. sift in the icing sugar and mix well until it forms a ball.

I found i needed probably about half as much again of the liquid ingredients to make it form a ball. but even though i had to leave the bowl of icing half way through making and go and mix more of the liquid and then add it to the mixture, the icing turned out perfect! just add a little of the extra liquid ingredients at a time. if it goes too sticky then sift in more icing sugar. when its in a nice smooth nonsticky ball, roll it out on a surface covered in icing sugar and keep it moving but it really isnt sticky!!

my practice cake this morning is lovely and matte satin in appearance but very firm and all the beads, cut outs and roses and the bow are perfect - i removed the paper towels from the bow loops and they stand by themselves!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 9

How does it taste?

Cathy26 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 9

it tastes nice - just sugary with a little vanilla (almond would be nice too). im going to try adding some cocoa powder instead of a little of the icing sugar and see if i can make a chocolate version - il let you all know how i get on!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%