How Much Notice Do You Need For A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By MaxTRexmom Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 2:27am by luv2cake

MaxTRexmom Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 9

I usually like 2 weeks notice for any cake but I would think for a wedding cake I would need more time to work out all the details... icon_confused.gif Just wondering what the norm is.

8 replies
Denise Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 9

I have taken a cake on as little as 48 hours notice for a 3 tiered cake with gum paste flowers and a hurricane on the way. LOL Most cakes are booked anywhere from 3 -12 months in advance. I will take another cake though (like my hurricane cake) if I don't already have a cake. I can move fast if I have to!!

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 9

I've taken them with 3 days notice. But I dictate the design and flavors at that point.

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 9

Depends on my schedule ... if I have an opening, like leahs, I CAN do one in 3-4 days.

When brides ask, "How soon should I book?", my standard answer is "It depends on how organized the OTHER brides are. If you are looking at a popular date and there are 14 other brides wanting that date, then you need to beat the bride(s) who are making their decisions early."

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

I ask for a minimum of 6 weeks, but have done a couple with less notice. As I have to import a lot of equipment etc (this country resides in the dark ages as far as the availability of cake decorating supplies goes!), I need the time to place & receive the deliveries etc!

funbun Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 9

Most of my cakes are booked 6-12 months in advance, but I have been known to take rush orders if I have the time and supplies on hand. I just delivered a 2 day notice 3 tier all buttercream wedding cake this afternoon. It was very simple with just ribbon, swiss dots and fresh roses. I had toyed around with charging extra for the rush notice but...as usual I fell for their sob story and charged my regular price icon_biggrin.gif HTH

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by funbun

Most of my cakes are booked 6-12 months in advance, but I have been known to take rush orders if I have the time and supplies on hand. I just delivered a 2 day notice 3 tier all buttercream wedding cake this afternoon. It was very simple with just ribbon, swiss dots and fresh roses. I had toyed around with charging extra for the rush notice but...as usual I fell for their sob story and charged my regular price icon_biggrin.gif HTH

Sucker icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif ! Good for you though, I think the stress of that tight a schedule would probably kill me!

kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #8 of 9

It all depends on what you already have booked; how big; what design wanted; and a few other factors icon_smile.gif
I've done small ones on 4-6 hrs notice; but mostly a couple of weeks helps.

luv2cake Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #9 of 9

When rush orders come in, I always wonder why? Did they not know they were getting married?
Did their original cake plans fall through?
Did they forget to order cake?

I just always find that interesting, that's all.

A little off the subject, sorry. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%