How Much Notice Do You Need For A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By MaxTRexmom Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 2:27am by luv2cake

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 9

I usually like 2 weeks notice for any cake but I would think for a wedding cake I would need more time to work out all the details... icon_confused.gif Just wondering what the norm is.

8 replies
Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 9

I have taken a cake on as little as 48 hours notice for a 3 tiered cake with gum paste flowers and a hurricane on the way. LOL Most cakes are booked anywhere from 3 -12 months in advance. I will take another cake though (like my hurricane cake) if I don't already have a cake. I can move fast if I have to!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 9

I've taken them with 3 days notice. But I dictate the design and flavors at that point.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 9

Depends on my schedule ... if I have an opening, like leahs, I CAN do one in 3-4 days.

When brides ask, "How soon should I book?", my standard answer is "It depends on how organized the OTHER brides are. If you are looking at a popular date and there are 14 other brides wanting that date, then you need to beat the bride(s) who are making their decisions early."

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

I ask for a minimum of 6 weeks, but have done a couple with less notice. As I have to import a lot of equipment etc (this country resides in the dark ages as far as the availability of cake decorating supplies goes!), I need the time to place & receive the deliveries etc!

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 9

Most of my cakes are booked 6-12 months in advance, but I have been known to take rush orders if I have the time and supplies on hand. I just delivered a 2 day notice 3 tier all buttercream wedding cake this afternoon. It was very simple with just ribbon, swiss dots and fresh roses. I had toyed around with charging extra for the rush notice but...as usual I fell for their sob story and charged my regular price icon_biggrin.gif HTH

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by funbun

Most of my cakes are booked 6-12 months in advance, but I have been known to take rush orders if I have the time and supplies on hand. I just delivered a 2 day notice 3 tier all buttercream wedding cake this afternoon. It was very simple with just ribbon, swiss dots and fresh roses. I had toyed around with charging extra for the rush notice but...as usual I fell for their sob story and charged my regular price icon_biggrin.gif HTH

Sucker icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif ! Good for you though, I think the stress of that tight a schedule would probably kill me!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #8 of 9

It all depends on what you already have booked; how big; what design wanted; and a few other factors icon_smile.gif
I've done small ones on 4-6 hrs notice; but mostly a couple of weeks helps.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #9 of 9

When rush orders come in, I always wonder why? Did they not know they were getting married?
Did their original cake plans fall through?
Did they forget to order cake?

I just always find that interesting, that's all.

A little off the subject, sorry. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%