Gumpaste Not Getting Hard

Decorating By jenangel1229 Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 1:51am by Kim_in_CajunCountry

jenangel1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenangel1229 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 6

I made some gumpaste flowers and leaves for a dummy cake last Sunday and they still haven't hardened. I used a store bought premade gumpaste (sorry I don't have the name handy) but it is just as soft as the day I made it. At first I thought maybe it was that there was too much food coloring in it but, I made very pale peach flowers that only had a tiny bit of it and they haven't hardened either. Any suggestions, or should I just buy new and start over?

Thanks for the help

5 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 6

If it was Bekels (silver pouch with white label) it won't get hard. It dries but it's just kind of rubbery like silicone.

I've emailed the manufacturer and they replied once with some questions, but I haven't heard from them since. I had searched CC about the Bekels and everyone else who tried it had the same results.

I had bought it because it was less expensive than Wilton's. Now I pay the extra for Wilton's.

jenangel1229 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 6

That is it!!! That sucks so bad. I had made these really pretty fall leaves out of it and burgandy fantasy flowers to go with it.

Thanks for letting me know, I won't buy that again.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 6

Glad I could help...I think. icon_rolleyes.gif

This is the cake I made...luckily the flowers held a little of their shape after I removed the tissues that I had used to hold up the petals to dry. This was my first experience with gumpaste, too...Oh well, lesson learned.

jenangel1229 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

your cake turned out beautiful! You can't tell that the gumpaste didnt work like you wanted. Very well executed.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #6 of 6

Thanks! I was rather proud of it, since it was my first time using both fondant and gum paste.

I'm going to try making gum paste fall leaves tomorrow to adorn a carrot cake. (using Wilton GP this time!) I'll post the pics.

Have a good one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%