Clay Machine Or Pasta Roller For Gumpaste/fondant?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm by rcs

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone use the clay machine from AC Moore for rolling gumpaste/fondant? Does it work okay?

I was originally planning to buy a pasta roller for this purpose but they are much more expensive.

Just wondering if the clay machine would do the same thing or if I should go for the extra $$ for the pasta machine?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 7

Which ever one you choose you will be much happier if you get one w/a motor.
Do you have a KitchenAid mixer? Get the attachment for it. You will have your hands free to work w/the fondant as it comes out of the press.

For any of the others you have to crank a handle which causes it not to be smooth in thickness. Also it does not sit up off the table enough so the fondant piles up on the table and can be a real problem to handle.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #3 of 7

I use a pasta machine (non-motorized). I have no complaints.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:00am
post #4 of 7

I bought the clay pasta machine and used it...once? I thought it was a real PITA. You have to clean the bejeepers out of it to get the manufacturing oils out of the machine, and then I experienced the same issues with the thickness varying as I cranked the fondant thru...it's kind of analagous to "spatula marks" on your bc. If I had it to do all over again, I would definitely get a food-grade machine.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:05am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Which ever one you choose you will be much happier if you get one w/a motor.
Do you have a KitchenAid mixer? Get the attachment for it. You will have your hands free to work w/the fondant as it comes out of the press.

For any of the others you have to crank a handle which causes it not to be smooth in thickness. Also it does not sit up off the table enough so the fondant piles up on the table and can be a real problem to handle.

I do have a KA mixer. Is it easy to set up the attachment? I was afraid that it wouldn't be wide enough. I will have to take a look at it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 7

At first, I purchased the clay machine, but then I was worried about it not being food-safe. I returned it, then started looking on ebay for a food grade pasta machine. I bought an Atlas (made in Italy) non-motorized machine & I love it. It also can with different attachments (just in case I ever decide to make pasta). I can't remember how much I paid for it, but it was much cheaper than all the motorized machines & the KA attachment. I use it all the time for fondant/gp decorations. It's very easy to use & clean. You do have to have sure that your fondant isn't too sticky, or it will not roll out smooth.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 7

I love my KA pasta roller!! Yes, it is very easy to attach and use. You just place it in the little attachment hole on the head of your mixer and tighten the screw. I bought mine at a Bed, Bath and Beyond using one of the 20 or 30 percent coupons they frequently advertise and it was cheaper than any I found on the internet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%