If I Make This Today, Will It Be Ok For Dinner Tomorrow?????

Decorating By LisaD923 Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm by leah_s

LisaD923 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 2

Hi All!
Ok, I have a yummy choc fudgy frosting/filling that I've been using. I've used it to frost cupcakes in the am which were eaten at a bbq in the late afternoon. The frosting held up fine and didn't get anyone sick! icon_smile.gif

I've also been using this frosting as a filling for my chocolate cake. Typically I make a cake the day before it's to be eaten. I've been refrigerating the cakes but I'm wondering if I can get away with leaving them out. The filling is the fudgy filling and the outside is buttercream which I KNOW can sit out.

I'm making this cake today but it won't be eaten until my bil's birthday party tomorrow evening. Here's the recipe....what do you think??

5 sq unsweetened choc
1 c heavy cream
1 1/4 c granulated sugar
1 stick butter, soft
1 tsp vanilla

add heavy cream and sugar to a sauce pan over medium. stir until sugar is disolved and begins to simmer. let simmer for 7 mins, do not stir! remove from heat, add butter and chocolate. stir until melted. add vanilla and whisk until smooth. place in fridge to cool stiring frequently until thick enough to frost.

Do you think cooking the heavy cream stabalizes it enough to sit out? If I've let it sit out all day, I'm thinking it should be ok for 24 or so hours?? HELP! I know nothing aobut this stuff!! icon_cry.gif

THANK YOU!!

1 reply
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 2

I'd say the ratio of sugar to cream is definitely not enough to keep the cream from spoiling. Needs to be refrigerated. Sugar preserves and there's just not enough of it in there. (Butter's not an issue as it technically doesn't have to be refrigerated.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%