Making Impressions

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 1:00pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:20am
post #1 of 6

Ok so Im trying to make a cupcake out of a carved cake. The bottom of the cupcake are three 8x2 rounds slightly carved in a the bottom. The picture the client sent me is from online so I can't give credit to anyone but I will post it because I have no idea how to make the actual cupcake "liner" lines .. I used the buttercream dream recipe with hi ratio shortening and it has sat in the fridge overnight, but when I pressed a wooden dowel into it, the icing stuck to the wooden dowel and made a nasty mess. I think it might have something to do with how much color was added. Maybe it affected the crusting ability to a certain point? I need some ideas on how to make the ridges in the liner as the customer is picking up the cake in two and a half hours!!!

http://www.monzis.com/images/Pink%20Emma%20w-cupcake.jpg

5 replies
bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:33am
post #2 of 6

I wish that I could help, but it looks to me that fondant was used in that pic. Do you have any on hand that the customer won't mind if used? Fondant can always be peeled off if they do not like the taste of it. If not, maybe stick it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up before trying the dowel method again. Best of luck!

vetaAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vetaAL Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

I have no idea how to make the actual cupcake "liner" lines .. I used the buttercream dream recipe with hi ratio shortening and it has sat in the fridge overnight, but when I pressed a wooden dowel into it, the icing stuck to the wooden dowel and made a nasty mess. I think it might have something to do with how much color was added. Maybe it affected the crusting ability to a certain point?

Cake on that picture covered in fondant (or, certantly, looks like it). If you trying to do lines on regular BC, I would use PLASTIC something (stick, ruler et se) , wet it and press to BC sides. That shouldn't stick...
Good luck

TheCakerator Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:45am
post #4 of 6

they don't want fondant on the cake itself, theres going to be some fondant accents but they wanted the actual frosting to be buttercream ... thanks for the replies though, maybe I will try to wet something plastic .. thanks again

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 6

I get those lines in there even when I'm not trying LOLOLOL. icon_biggrin.gif .

I would let it crust, and dip the dowel in PS so it won't stick.

Mike

TheCakerator Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 6

thanks you guys .... and I understand what your saying mike trust me!! Anyways, we tried plastic, wood, water, powdered sugar, cornstarch .. you name it .... we finally gave up and decided to roll out logs of fondant and slapped them on there .. they will be here in one hour, and the darn thing is not even stacked yet ..... wish me luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%