Wording To Respond To A Customer Request?

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm by indydebi

lmn4881 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #1 of 9

I have a customer who is asking to come and see my cakes up close, not just the photos on my website. I do not have a store front, and bake cakes just as they are ordered. I'm not sure the wording to use to get this across to her. I've already told herhat I do not have a store front and that I don't bake every day but she doesn't seem to be geting it. Any ideas? Thanks.

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:28am
post #2 of 9

This seems a little creepy doesn't it?

Tell her (again) that a bakery is not like a museum or a movie or something. You don't have anything for her to see. Tell her to order something and she can look at it all day long up close and personal. If that doesn't satisfy her curiosity and you want her to stop asking say that you find her insistence rather odd.

agroeve Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:18am
post #3 of 9

Not sure if your a legal home baker like myself but this is what i would write.
Thank you for your enquiry.
As i have previously explained, I do not keep a store of ready decorated cakes that you can view. I bake my cakes for each individual order and they are picked up when finished to preserve the freshness and not stored on the premises for any number of days. The only visual reference i have are the photos on my website and i am sorry that you do not find these acceptable. If i can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:30am
post #4 of 9

First off what kind of cake does she want? If she is looking for a wedding cake I can understand her Q. If she is looking for an occasion cake. Just plain tell her no. I'm not a gallery that has cakes laying around for you to look at.

NOW the other side of the coin. Could it be the HD, and are you legal?

lmn4881 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 9

Yes I am a legal bakery. I hae been for a few years now.

mixinvixen Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 9

you can also suggest that it is not permissable, from a sanitary perspective, according to the dept of health. i know that here in tn, if you are going to have a home kitchen (i'd say it is especially true for bakeries), the rules are that when baking, only the personnell can be in there.

keyshia Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 9

I agree, here in Utah when you bake at home you are not able to have anyone besides employees in the kitchen. I would explain like suggested that you only bake to order and additionally a condition for your licensing is that you will not have anyone in the kitchen that is not part of your staff...it does seem kind of weird to me too...

Is it possible for you to offer to sell her a small 6 in that she can take to look at closely?

MacsMom Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 9

I like Mike's wording. And I was also going to suggest telling her that you'd be happy to sell her a sample 6" cake.

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 9

I like the way agroeve put it. I've had similar situations ... people who call and want to pick up a cake in an hour. I stop them mid sentence with "Whoa .... it doesnt' work that way. I don't have cakes just sitting around just in case somebody might want to come by and buy one. Each one is made to order....."

Quote by @%username% on %date%