Will B/cream Frosting Last 3 Days?

Decorating By Urshigan Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 2:04am by Sweet_Guys

Urshigan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Urshigan Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #1 of 7

Problem: Through circumstances beyond my control I HAVE to make a birthday cake 3 days in advance (bake on Thurs night / frost Friday am for a Sunday party). I've gathered from some research that I should wrap the cake itself and refrigerate it; maybe even brush with simple syrup before frosting to keep it moist. I'm also planning on using an extra moist batter. But the buttercream frosting ... will that last in the fridge until the party, do you think? Any tips for keeping it nice?

Thanks for any suggestions!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #2 of 7

My normal schedule is to ice/decorate on Thursday for a Saturdsay wedding. I do not refrigerate my cakes ..... one CC'er posted info that refrigerating a cake accelerates the "going stale" process and refrigerating a cake is actually bad for a cake. I'm a mix baker and don't add moisture (i.e. syrups). I've eaten my own cakes a week later and they still taste nice and fresh.

I leave my BC icing in a covered tub on my counter for days and weeks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:54am
post #3 of 7

Definately a cake iced in b'cream will be fresh and moist 3 days latericon_smile.gif You need not worry.
If you use my *original* WASC cake recipe you will have one very happy customer.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 7

I baked and decorated a cake on Thursday night and the cake was for a saturday party and I did refridearate it and it turned out great.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 7

What Indy said.

Urshigan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Urshigan Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

Whew! THANK YOU ladies. You've taken a load off my mind!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #7 of 7

We've done the same thing here in central Florida. The only time we refrigerate the buttercream is when we have leftovers and won't need it until the next cake is made.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%