Storing Buttercream?

Decorating By panchanewjersey Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 3:46am by panchanewjersey

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #1 of 6

Quick question on how to store your bc made from all shortening? And how long if you do leave it out can it hold up for if not in frig? Thanks, tried forums and list too long couldn't find topic. Please bc pro's what do you recommend. I want to make big batch of it, that's why?

5 replies
Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 6

I have left my BC in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and still used it on cakes that tasted just fine and no one got sick.

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

I frequently freeze it. I wrap it in saran wrap and then put it in the freezer bags. It is much easier to get out of the freezer bags that way than trying to squeeze it out.
To thaw I will let it sit on the counter. If you flatten it when you freeze it it thaws faster. If you use your microwave to thaw, use the thaw cycle for SHORT bursts. I have overheated it before and ruined it. So be careful if you thaw in the nuke.
You may have to rewhip the frosting, depending on the kind of bc you have. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
Mary

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 6

B'cream made w/all shorteneing can be left at room temp up to one week. Yes, it's best kept in the frig but will be just fine on the counter.
I do suggest making a big batch and breaking it down into smaller batches & freeze.
Always rebeat any that has been stored.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #5 of 6

I use all shortening .... I keep it in an acrylic container on my counter for 1-3 weeks (+/-) .... depending on what the cake schedule is. I never refrigerate it....on or off a cake. The only time I've had icing problems is when I refrigerated the icing or the iced cake.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all, I really have space to put in frig which is why I was going to leave it out, and yes it's all shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%