10.17.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm by GI

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:21am
post #31 of 66

Are you there with the US military? Or are you native? No reason, just curious.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:21am
post #32 of 66

I'm up too, but getting ready to call it a night.

Tonight I baked NFSC's for Halloween and just finished a UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) octagon cake for a birthday tomorrow. My kitchen is a mess, but I'm too exhausted to deal with it tonight. icon_surprised.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:22am
post #33 of 66

I wasn't worried about the nightmare cake until i talked to the host of the shower who informed me that the bride is having 2 showers on Sunday and both will have that theme--Apparently there is a good natured competition going on with the families. In her words-"No pressure, I'm sure your cake will be better" Yeah, no pressure.... right!

Mrs.Doubtfire is a challenge from a coworker. He wouldn't even let me have a "Backup cake" in mind in case it doesn't go well. He said.."You can do it. You can do anything with cake" No pressure there either! I already told him this will be the most difficult cake I have ever made. Scared to death. icon_cry.gif He said Mrs. Doubtfire was his cousins favorite halloween costume growing up and the family has teased her about it ever since.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:23am
post #34 of 66

hey leahs, i'm here - you just missed my post earlier. just got back from letting my doggies out and getting started on my 4-tier wedding cake now

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:26am
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

In theory I'm making a carrot cake. I didn't realize that carrot cake was so dang hard to get right.

I have tried two different recipes and they both turned out weird and stick and sort of deflated. Am I screwing it up or is carrot cake just this way? I'm about to give up and buy one of those new boxed carrot cake mixes. Grr!

I myself am not a huge fan of carrot cake, but I made this one for a friend who loves it and it turned out well. It's from the Kitchen Aid great baking and more book. (Though most of the recipes in this book, for lack of a better word, suck) You could even add pineapple, coconut or raisins.

4 eggs
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Beat eggs and butter. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Fold in carrots and walnuts. bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 mins.

I don't sell cakes, so I probably shouldn't be on this thread anywho (normally I just lurk) BUT, I did a cake for a friend last night and couldn't help thinking how helpful this thread would have been. I used cornstarch to roll out my fondant for the first time, and I had a hard time getting it smooth. I've seen someone refer to this as "elephant skin" is that common with cornstarch?

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:28am
post #36 of 66

I'm up...wishing I had cakes to make! I have an electric guitar cake for next weekend I need to start planning for! HEY! does anyone know how I might could get a Tiger stripe wood look for a fondant covered cake?

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:29am
post #37 of 66

Thanks sayhellojan, I will try this first thing in the morning, for now I give up and I'm going to bed. I can't pour another chocolate molded leaf tonight or I'll have a breakdown. Boo to carrot cake!

imakecakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:30am
post #38 of 66

tdybear1978, are you making all those cakes tonight by yourself? icon_surprised.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:31am
post #39 of 66

The military but it is a wonderful place if you can get over not having the conviences that I am used to ie the walmarts. They have a little section of the national brand of cake supplies but it is a joke. LoL Most of my supplies I have to order online which is such a pain cause of shipping but gotta go where uncle sam sends us

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:32am
post #40 of 66

Finally getting a chance to post here....I just finished re-baking a baby shower cake that was supposed to be delivered today for the shower which is tomorrow however.......I think I had a serious case of "cake funk" because right from the get go I just was not feeling this cake. I knew what I wanted to do but I just couldn't picture it in my head.

Then something weird was going on with the cakes, they just weren't stable enough and the batch of buttercream I made last night was off too. For the life of me I could not get it smooth.

I put them together and stacked them this morning and they were absolutely hideous!!! There was no way I could deliver a cake in that condition. So.....I called the girl and told her there was a little mishap and that I'd deliver it first thing in the morning. Thank God she was cool with it...boy am I exhausted!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:33am
post #41 of 66

I'm heading off to bed also now that Letterman is off. And I have guests in our B&B who want to eat at 7:30 a.m. Everyone - if you're a Saturday Night Live fan, rumor has it that Sarah Palin is going to be on tomorrow night - playing Tina Fey. hahahaha

Best wishes to everyone. Keep an eye on one another!

imakecakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #42 of 66

Sounds like there's plenty of cake funk to go around tonight! The full moon was the other night, wasn't it?

kathrynscakesncookies Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:36am
post #43 of 66

This is what the guitar looks like
LL

imakecakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:37am
post #44 of 66

Leahs, you run a B&B besides the catering biz????? Wow you guys always amaze me!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:43am
post #45 of 66

yeah, looks like I may be on my own tonight - at least for a while. The girl who comes in and helps me on Friday had a birthday party to go tonight and said she will be back in a while.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:43am
post #46 of 66

I'm off to bed myself... One of these days I'm going to treat myself to a long weekend away--perhaps book a cozy room at the Gallery House icon_wink.gif

g'night all!

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:53am
post #47 of 66

2 tiers down, 2 to go....corners not doing too bad

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:57am
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

Sounds like there's plenty of cake funk to go around tonight! The full moon was the other night, wasn't it?

You're right...it was a full moon! I didn't even think of that. That explains the funk for sure!

imakecakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:10am
post #49 of 66

Alright, I'm throwing in the towel for tonight. Perhaps inspiration will strike tomorrow around this time when I'm working on Mrs.Doubtfire. Can you imaging cutting into her head to serve the cake??????

imakecakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:15am
post #50 of 66

Oh before I go....Kathyrn, there are tutorials around showing how to marbelize fondant. I think that will give you the look you're going for. Try searching this site for tips or even Google. There's probably a youtube video or two on the subject. Hope it helps, it looks like it will be a cool cake to make.

kathrynscakesncookies Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:25am
post #51 of 66

Thanks imakecakes, but I already know how to marble fondant and that's not really the look I want. I want it to be a more controled cross ways grain like the picture. I've looked for the past week everywhere I can think of trying to figure out a better way to do it but I guess I'm goig to end up having to hand paint on the darker charcoal lines. I thought maybe someone could just tell me straight out instead of me having to do more looking. Thanks again for the advice!

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:45am
post #52 of 66

Who's still up? I am waiting on my top tier of my castle cake to cool. Anybody use the Wilton castle kit and have to transport it? I am nervous about transporting it with the turrets on, but will not have time to put the border around the bottom after I get there. I hope they stick well to the BC.

kathrynscakesncookies Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:50am
post #53 of 66

I did one with that kit last week, but didn't have to take it anywhere. one of my towers fell off taking it outside to serve it but I didn't have very much time or BC left to stick them to the cake good. I would deffently make sure it's a moist BC you use to GLUE the towers to the cake. and use plenty of it! it should work good

kathrynscakesncookies Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:53am
post #54 of 66

I know now how I'm going to fix the stripes on my guitar cake. thanks imakecakes for the advice and help! Wow, I need an updated picture on my forum stuff! Baby is now 19 months old! I can't beleive he'll be 2 in FEB! I'm going to have to go to bed soon I can't type right either!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:24am
post #55 of 66

Ahh, Its almost 1:30 and I'm still not done! To top it off the middle tier of my cake has bulges! It's a strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting filling. I did'nt put a bc damn in and now I'm regretting it. What I can I do to fix it? And the filling won't start leaking out will it?

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:35am
post #56 of 66

I had to rebake one of my tiers, just pulled it out of the oven. There were hard pellets of flour throughout the cake!

So, now I am mixing the last (hopefully) filling so I can get them all filled and iced. Then I need to carve the groom's cake and at least get that iced.

Then I'll take a nap, hopefully! Actually, I hope I last that long. icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:39am
post #57 of 66

I was just trying to set my top tier of my white BC castle on the bottom tier and when I jerked my hand out I jerked a chunk of chocolate cake out with it! I patched it as best I could but now I have even more chocolate cake crumbs in my white icing.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:56am
post #58 of 66

I finished baking this afternoon.l It is now 2am--I am up because DH forgot our anniversery and I am ticked off..... icon_redface.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:58am
post #59 of 66

Oh, justfrosting, happy anniversary to you! Too bad the hubby forgot HIS anniversary icon_sad.gif Ah, but men are hunters. They seek & destroy & capture.

He captured you icon_biggrin.gif so now he thinks he's "done"! icon_lol.gif

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:59am
post #60 of 66

Thx. I really thought we have been married long enough that it wouldn't bother me....13 years.

It still stings.

Happy Caking veryone! MUWA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%