10.17.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm by GI

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 66

is called to order. Who's up? Whatcha doin'?

I thought I would be finished by now, but I've been procrastinating. Anyway, mixing airbrush colors and getting ready to spray flowers. Two cakes ready for tomorrow, one prepped for Sunday.

65 replies
Molly2 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #2 of 66

'm up Completed a little girl cake with her puppy and a Western cupcake tower which came out very.

Molly

Shannie13 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 66

I am here, but gave up on my cake for tonight, just wasn't working for me. I just couldn't get my mmf to work for me tonight, not sure what went wrong but got frustrated.

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 66

I made MMF once. Once. Then I went back to SatinIce.

Shannie13 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 66

My Michael's doesn't carry it so often, and I haven't found an adequate supply store but I think for the next major one that is the direction I am heading...I was just too frustrated.

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:24am
post #6 of 66

Have you tried www.fondantsource.com? I think they give CCer's a 10% discount. They ship quick!

jdelectables Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 66

one picked up. 2 to be completed in the morning and then pick up. I have to say, tho, I'm about to throw in the towel. I have worked like a dog all week and am not making a whole lot of money. I have been feeling like quitting for some time now. Sick of my house being a mess with cake supplies all over and tired of working for pennies! Sorry to be such a downer, but that is where I'm at right now.

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:32am
post #8 of 66

whoa! My previous post went totally weird.

Try w w w . f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #9 of 66

::pats jdelectables::

You should not be working for pennies. It's late, we're all tired.

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:34am
post #10 of 66

That post of "mine" above that looks so weird, is NOT AT ALL what I typed.

summernoelle Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:37am
post #11 of 66

I have a cake from hell. It's my son's 5th b day party tomorrow. Struggled with the BC for two days, and then ended up using fondant. Specifically bought Sugar Veil for a spiderweb that didn't turn out. And my stupid chocolate transfer buildings keep falling off and breaking.

Thank goodness this isn't for a client!

summernoelle Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelectables

one picked up. 2 to be completed in the morning and then pick up. I have to say, tho, I'm about to throw in the towel. I have worked like a dog all week and am not making a whole lot of money. I have been feeling like quitting for some time now. Sick of my house being a mess with cake supplies all over and tired of working for pennies! Sorry to be such a downer, but that is where I'm at right now.

Tell you what, me too. I'm worn out by cakes-I think I need to stop until my kiddos are in school. It's just too hard being everything to everyone.

Tashablueyes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #13 of 66

In theory I'm making a carrot cake. I didn't realize that carrot cake was so dang hard to get right.

I have tried two different recipes and they both turned out weird and stick and sort of deflated. Am I screwing it up or is carrot cake just this way? I'm about to give up and buy one of those new boxed carrot cake mixes. Grr!

acookieobsession Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #14 of 66

I just finished....1 4 tier wedding cake with 30 gp cala's and 6 roses (and ribbon of course).

And 1 5 tier with , let;s guess...ribbon.

and 1 grooms cake with college logo...

luckily my 2 birthday cakes were already picked up.

I am pooped.

Leahs I hope that sps holds up...I am transporting a stacked cake (3 tier grooms). I am so nervous because of the mountains here....I want to move to the desert ...no humidty, no hills, and surely no one wants out door weddings.

Think I better sleep so I can drive 1 hr to 1st wedding then 2.5 hrs to 2nd wedidng.

Why do I do this again?

SouthernSugar Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:42am
post #15 of 66

I'm up. Working on a fudge brownie cake for my husband's FEMA team and a pumpkin pie for my son's 14th birthday (he will NOT eat cake).

Tashablueyes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #16 of 66

acookieobsession, no wonder you're pooped! Two cakes due at the same time stresses me out. Good luck, and the SPS will be great, no worries!

jenncowin Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:44am
post #17 of 66

Well, I don't have a cake until Sunday, so I won't bake it until tomorrow, but I do already have my MMF pcs done and dried. I should be cleaning my house because I have started selling Home and Garden Party to earn some extra cash and I'm having an Open House tomorrow afternoon. I have part of it done, but the hubby and kids are gone for a weekend of deer hunting and I'm rather enjoying the quiet. Ok, back to cleaning......

Shannie13 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #18 of 66

Summernoelle, That is too funny. My daughter's 5th birthday is on Monday but we are partying on Sunday because we had to rent a hall and they were only available Sunday. And we both are having issues with icing...go figure.

Leahs, do you know if they deliver to Canada? That is my only draw back. I will have to look into it, thanks so much for the info.

tdybear1978 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #19 of 66

I'm here - had to run home and let my doggies out to pee since the hubby and son went camping tonight, so now I am a little behind. Kind of slower weekend this week - have about 10 sheet cakes, a 3-tier wedding cake and a 4-tier wedding cake. will probably be here for a bit

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #20 of 66

acookie, no pressure re: the SPS. haha
Really you and it should be fine. This is what it was created for.

Shannie, I don't know about Canada delivery. The company is in Florida, I think.

cakequeen50 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:54am
post #21 of 66

Tired and going to bed. It is before midnight....shock, shock...but I have to be at the shop at 9am as I have a guy coming to pick up a carousel cake at 9 and someone picking up a wedding cake at 10.
Then we have 6 more deliveries, and another pickup.
It will slow down a bit next week, only 4 weddings, but I have so much that I am rearranging and condensing my new shop. The previous owner has so much stuff and I just don't know what to do with it all. I have 5 #10 cans of almond paste..... I also have so many flavors of all different kinds, mousse mixes, purees, dessert sauces, on and on and on.
Lots of work but every day I make a bit more progress. It is exciting.

Going to get some sleep.

PinkZiab Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:03am
post #22 of 66

What's up peeps? I'm done for the night... slow week for me... slow couple of weeks coming up (boooo).

TJCanadian Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:08am
post #23 of 66

I had so much fun finishing my magic top hat cake with the saucy rabbit in it, I almost don't want to ruin it by icing this 4 tier wedding cake....square corners, not looking forward to it.

imakecakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:09am
post #24 of 66

Hi I'm here, too.....

I just finished my trick or treating ghosts cake. It's for one of my favorite customers--she always picks fun cakes!

Next up are 2 strange requests for this week--A Nightmare Before Christmas bridal shower cake and a 3Dbust of Mrs.Doubtfire icon_confused.gif
These aren't due until Sunday so maybe I'll pack it in for tonight and get a fresh start in the morning.

PinkZiab Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:11am
post #25 of 66

Well the nightmare before xmas isn't so odd, but I too must raise an eyebrow at the Mrs Doubtfire... some people! lol can't wait to see that one!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:12am
post #26 of 66

For me it's already Saturday afternoon. But I just finished a two tiered birthday cake to be delivered in a hour. Not so simple because of my buttercream not cooperating.Cry Cry Cry!!! Maybe cause it's rained for the past couple of days. Looking forward to trying some new recipes so that I can perfect the smoothing of the buttercream. I can't imagine what you do leahs, I stress over 1 cake a week. Gotta love the decorating though.

Neicey76 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:15am
post #27 of 66

I'm up. Don't have any cakes this week but a ton of chocolates for a bridal shower and upcoming halloween parties.

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:17am
post #28 of 66

Oh, I'm sitting around eating bons bons compared to tdybear. Where is she tonight?

Where are you located cake and party?

::waves to pink::

cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #29 of 66

Okinawa, Japan

Lenette Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:21am
post #30 of 66

I'm up! It's about 11:20 here and I need to stay up most of the night, I'm behind as always. I spent almost two days in bed not feeling well and now it's time to get it done. I'm tired but hey gotta do what we gotta do!

One 4 tier wedding cake
one grooms cake
one bday cake

Luckily none of these are due early tomorrow! Another week with the best of intentions ending in an all nighter. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

The life of a caker! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%