Help With Baseball Cake For Tomorrow, Sat!!!!

Decorating By lucettaslegacy Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 3:36am by xstitcher

lucettaslegacy Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone give suggestions on how to make a real looking & sized baseball out of cake? Any certain methods. I know there is a mini ball pan. I don't have one & just got this cake order in at the last minute. I have the regular sized ball pan, but am making that into a Baseball hat. Wanting something more the actual size of a baseball. Thanks for all of your help!

7 replies
shanacoleman Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #2 of 8

Just a thought....either carve it out of cake layers or make a cake ball except on a larger scale. There are recipes for cake balls on this site. That is of course if the baseball is going to be actual size and on top of another cake. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

cupcakeco Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #3 of 8

Instead of trying to sculpt another 3D cake to go along side the baseball cap, you might consider placing the cap on top of an 8" cake, decorated in white fondant and the red "stiching" pattern that a baseball would have. Since the cake is due tomorrow, It sounds as though this may be an easier and much safer bet than attempting to sculpt a ball last-minute. Eliminating the risk of disaster is always a good thing! icon_smile.gif For the border around the baseball cap and the "ball" cake, you could pipe green grass for a cool effect.

As always, suggestions! Let us know and Good Luck!

ETA: if you end up doing this or anything similar, check your pan size! 8" was just a guesstimate. Make sure the bottom tier will be big enough to support the cap.

renee2007 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #4 of 8

does the baseball have to be cake? since you're doing the cap out of cake maybe you could do the baseball out of ricekrispie treats, then cover with fondant or buttercream. hth icon_smile.gif

Nani25 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 8

If it does not have to be a baseball out of cake try covering rice krispy treats. I've that used on the food network...ace of cakes does it too.

FromScratch Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #6 of 8

I have a baseball cake in my photos called Jason's Birthday Cake or something to that effect (green cake with cap and ball and pennant).. it has a cap and ball and they are made from rice cereal treats covered in fondant. Might work for you so you don't have to make it from cake but it will be edible and easier to cover since you can pick it up and turn it over.

FromScratch Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:02am
post #7 of 8

LOL.. look at that train of good ideas.. icon_wink.gif

xstitcher Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

LOL.. look at that train of good ideas.. icon_wink.gif

and your all within minutes of each other!!!! Great minds think alike! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%