Question About Clay Extruders

Decorating By catin Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 5:06am by alidpayne

catin Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 11

I was in Michaels's today looking at the clay extruders . I was really tempted on picking one up but wasn't sure which one would be the best one to have to make sugarcraft with . I also am experimenting with Sculpey clay so If I can find one that I can use for both ... that would be great .

For the ones that have extruders ... what would you recommend?

Thanks a bunch


10 replies
cutthecake Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 11

I have read frequently that tools that are used with polymer clay should never be used with food becase the residue from the clay would be transferred to the food. So you might have to buy two clay guns after all.

maggiev777 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 11

I've bought two clay extruders in the last year. The first was a small cheap green plastic one. I bought it because it was cheap! But I hated it. The extruder tip and plates were not flat and caused me lots of problems. Also it required a lot of pressure to extrude the clay (it was an injector-style extruder, where you just pushed the plunger part). It about killed my hand!

The second one I bought was at Michael's, and it was $29.99 I think (though it would be a lot less if you would use a coupon of course!). I didn't want to buy it because of the money, but I am soooo glad I did! It is a green metal extruder. I don't remember the brand, but it comes in a transparent plastic case that is maybe 10"x5"x2" (with a cardboard sleeve around it). The tip and plates are completely flat (very important when you are extracting thin strands for tassles, hair, etc. - if it isn't flat the strands stick together like crazy!). And it is a different style also. Rather than a plunger that is pressed through the tube by force from your hand, it has a huge long screw that you turn to press the plunger down and extrude the fondant. It is sooooooo much easier to use and my hand never hurts. I use this extruder all the time and love it.

Also, ITA with PP re: buying two to prevent contamination.

xstitcher Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:23am
post #4 of 11

I think your thinking of the Makins Professional Extruder. I tried getting one at the local Michaels but they told me they weren't carrying it anymore. icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:57am
post #5 of 11

You should never use any cake tools for non cake items. You would have to have a seperate one for cake and clay.

I like the Green metal one for Makins. No Michaels doesn't carry it any more, but Hobby Lobby does. icon_smile.gif

catin Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks a bunch for your replies .... To correct my error I don't not have the intension to use one extruder for both (clay and sugarcraft) I I have full intension on getting two ... But it's to find out where they carry the Makin's one . They don't carry at Michael's in my area either , but I reserached it on the web and I think that is the one I want to get .

Thanks again for your replies it is greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif


jessfmaldonado Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 11

I just bought my Makins from this site. Great price!



alidpayne Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #8 of 11

I have the green metal Makins one at Hobby Lobby and I LOVE It. The twist plunger is SO much easier than a plunger type. I am wondering what you are typing that it is changing to "blocked" though... ?

BakingGirl Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #9 of 11

I have this one, and I love it. It is a bit pricey but it works like a charm.

jibbies Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by alidpayne

I have the green metal Makins one at Hobby Lobby and I LOVE It. The twist plunger is SO much easier than a plunger type. I am wondering what you are typing that it is changing to "blocked" though... ?

I have the green Makins also works great. I see "blocked" in lots of posts. What did you type? Type the blocked word again but put a space between each letter to satisfy the curious!


alidpayne Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:06am
post #11 of 11

Yeah, I see blocked a lot, but it is usually when someone is talking about a certain website. "the website that shall not be named" as indydebi calls it. LOL

I just can't figure out what in the world the OP could be typing to trigger it. lol

*edited to correct spelling

Quote by @%username% on %date%