Sugar Cookie Between Cake Layers

Decorating By suzie1962 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 8:24am by fondantfrenzy

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:39pm
post #181 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

Hi Melvira btw like everyone else that tries your roller idea I love it, thanks!
Thank goodness I didn't dip all the balls I made (german choc. w/choc icing, can we say rich!) so I left them overnight in the fridge and I'll cut a bit off of each one to make them smaller. I'm going to try a lemon cake w/lemon icing covered in white choc. Scooby Snacks! I love it icon_biggrin.gif

Aw, thanks Raquel!! That makes me happy!

Yah, just cut 'em in half or so... you'll be glad you did. thumbs_up.gif

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #182 of 206

Ok..for the girls that posted the pics of the cakes..thank you..I think I just gained 10 pounds looking at it!!!! They look yummy! I made one this weekend and let me tell you..OMG! I made the chocolate variation of WASC, PB cookie, and mock bettercream chocolate. I actually ran out of the mock bettercreme and yes had to use....canned frosting (gasp)! I ran out of milk at the time too or I would of made another batch of the mock bettercreme. And as for the pic of the bettercreme...I am on a personal mission to track that stuff down in this state somewhere and buy the store out. I did ask the local bakery and they looked at me like I was nuts.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #183 of 206

icon_smile.gif Great looking cakes everyone! I am starving...rofl......I don't have a bettercreme source......can someone please post the recipe for the 'mock bettercreme'? THANK YOU. icon_biggrin.gif

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #184 of 206

icon_biggrin.gif HI everyone! I read this and TRY to read all of the cupcake thread (still trying to read what was posted b4 I found CC) Well, I too finally tried this idea. I made kakeladis *original* WASC, with a butter cake and no almond flav. And I made a choc chip cookie. I think my cookie got too thick, I used a whole pouch in a 9 in pan. I made the cake in a 10 in, so I had to double the dam. I havent cut it yet cause Im waiting till after dinner tonight to we can all see it. My hubby thought it was a great idea. Ill let ya know how it turned out!

Thanks for the great idea!!

~Roxanne

Deb55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb55 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:03pm
post #185 of 206

Thanks for the great ideas! I made the chocolate cake w/peanut butter cookie and everyone loved it! The cookie was very moist, even after a few days. icon_biggrin.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #186 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycakes

icon_smile.gif Great looking cakes everyone! I am starving...rofl......I don't have a bettercreme source......can someone please post the recipe for the 'mock bettercreme'? THANK YOU. icon_biggrin.gif

When you have some time go to this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=601193&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
I printed @5 pages (copy and paste) of great recipes, ideas, and techniques on Bettercream and mock recipes. Thanks again to Melvira for putting down all her knowledge of Bettercream for us! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:51pm
post #187 of 206

Again, my pleasure Raquel!! icon_biggrin.gif I had so much fun coming up with recipes and stuff using Bettercreme, and was getting so many questions when I'd mention something in passing, that I thought I should kind of put it together in a better fashion! I always feel compelled to share because I glean so much knowledge here! thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:20pm
post #188 of 206

Macsmom,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't really know what I'd been looking for all these months. And I know I've NEVER seen the stuff! But now I can go to the store armed with that picture!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:12pm
post #189 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny2222

What icing do you ladies like better the SMBC or the Bettercreme? I tried the Bettercreme (thank you soooo much Melvira) and loved loved loved it. I only used it for filling cupcakes though. Which of the two taste better? Which of the two is better for decorating a cake, scrolls, piping etc.? Thanks so much for any input

definitely smbc. i don't care for bettercreme, though i guess its better than traditional american buttercream...

Paizley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paizley Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:14pm
post #190 of 206

Never in a million years would I have thought to put a cookie in a cake! I can't wait to try this!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:26pm
post #191 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny2222

What icing do you ladies like better the SMBC or the Bettercreme? I tried the Bettercreme (thank you soooo much Melvira) and loved loved loved it. I only used it for filling cupcakes though. Which of the two taste better? Which of the two is better for decorating a cake, scrolls, piping etc.? Thanks so much for any input

definitely smbc. i don't care for bettercreme, though i guess its better than traditional american buttercream...

That is totally a matter of personal taste. I think SMBC and IMBC taste unpleasant. But I'm one of those weirdos that think ABC is really good. That could be how I make it of course... everyone around here loves it, so that's got to say something! icon_lol.gif

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #192 of 206

Melvira-- I love all the stuff you make and your roller technique. Sooooo, you wanna share your ABC recipe?

Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:51pm
post #193 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoqeen

Melvira-- I love all the stuff you make and your roller technique. Sooooo, you wanna share your ABC recipe?

I'm kind of embarassed to, because it's nothing special!! I use the basic Wilton recipe, but I use Hi-ratio shortening, more water than they call for, and a boat load of flavoring. I whip the shortening for quite a bit before adding anything so it is light and fluffy, then I start adding stuff to it, liquids first, and whip that really well before adding the dry ingredients.

Actually, I have two different versions, but I've 'lost' the second one. My mom is searching for it, I haven't used it in a few years, so I've forgotten it. I know it's somewhere in her large box of recipes. I call it "Mom's mad at her man frosting". I jokingly called it that because the directions were to throw everything in a huge bowl and beat the h*ll out of it! icon_lol.gif It used shortening, flavoring, PS, dream whip, water, I just don't remember the exact amounts of it all. I know Debi has a recipe that uses Dream Whip too, and it's probably similar. I quit using it because it comes out an ivory color, and I was trying to keep it white, now I've realized that there are times I don't mind it not being white! icon_rolleyes.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #194 of 206

I LOVE Whimsical Bakehouse's House Buttercream. I can (and do) eat it by the spoonful. Vanilla and chocolate.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:22pm
post #195 of 206

I use hi-ratio, too, and use meringue powder instead of Dream Whip.
I use vanilla coffee creamer instead of water, and a lot of salt and a ton butter flavoring so it isn't so sweet and tastes nummy.

I do it the "mad" way -- throw it all together and the beat the poop out of it icon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:08pm
post #196 of 206

Hahaha macsmom... you must use icing-making as therapy like my mom did! icon_lol.gif

MacsMom Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:50pm
post #197 of 206

I don't know if it's as much therapy as it is that I hate having to make so many different things for one cake! "Take THAT you extra ingredient!"
icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #198 of 206

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I hear ya!! thumbs_up.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #199 of 206

I have a question for all you great minds would it work to make a "cookie" crust similar to a graham cracker crust of a pie to use between the layers? you know graham crackers, butter and sugar baked for 8 minutes.

I was thinking of making a key lime cake adding a layer of lime curd a layer of the graham cracker crust and then a layer of either bettercreme or lime smbc. Am I crazy? Will the crust fall apart?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you offer!

MacsMom Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:34pm
post #200 of 206

I think it would work - at least enough to give the impression you're going for with the key lime. Just bake a very thin cookie, which would require a very small of amount dough squished into the pan because it will rise.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm
post #201 of 206

I think that it will work just fine! That sounds sooo good! I will have to make it for my family. My grandparents lived in the keys most of their lives and grew key limes and are very into key lime pie. I bet they would love a cake like that!

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:39am
post #202 of 206

icon_eek.gif What about a Chocolate Chai Cookie filling with cream cheese frosting and chocolate cake icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:50pm
post #203 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantfrenzy

icon_eek.gif What about a Chocolate Chai Cookie filling with cream cheese frosting and chocolate cake icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hmmm... I'd have to taste it to really know if it was good, so why don't you go ahead and make one and drop it by? I'll get back to you as soon as I consume the whole thing in one sitting!! icon_lol.gif

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #204 of 206

icon_surprised.gif Ohhhh my gosh, I'm SO gonna hafta try this!!!!

MacsMom Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #205 of 206

I added chai liquid conentrated tea to my pumpkin cake and it was great! I wonder how adding it to a sugar cookie filing would work.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:24am
post #206 of 206

Ok Girls, you ready for this I made this

1/2 cup water
2 (1-ounce) squares bittersweet or semi-sweet baking chocolate
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons instant chai tea latte mix*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Glaze Ingredients:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Butter, softened
1 tablespoon instant chai tea latte mix*
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 to 5 teaspoons milk

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 3 (5 1/2x3-inch) mini loaf pans; set aside. Combine water and baking chocolate in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.

Combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add chocolate mixture and sour cream. Continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add all remaining bread ingredients. Beat until mixture is smooth.

Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely.

Combine all glaze ingredients except milk in small bowl. Beat at medium speed, adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Glaze cooled bread.

And let me tell you, YUMMMMMMMMMM, I am trying to figure out how to make that a cookie..ha ha ha ha ha... it says its a bread, but it tastes like a cake....

[quote]Hmmm... I'd have to taste it to really know if it was good, so why don't you go ahead and make one and drop it by? I'll get back to you as soon as I consume the whole thing in one sitting!!

Quote:
Quote:

Ok Melvira, how bout I drop off one of these first for a taste test????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%