Sugar Cookie Between Cake Layers

Decorating By suzie1962 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 8:24am by fondantfrenzy

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 206

A while back I remember seeing a thread about putting a cookie that had been baked in a cake pan between layers of a cake. I am interested in trying this, but can't find the thread. Does anyone remember this? Has anyone done it? What was your experience with it?

Thanks alot.

205 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 206

Here's the thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601531-.html
(See raquel1's posts.)

HTH

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:54am
post #3 of 206

I tried doing the sugar cookie in between the cake layers for my sister's b-day cake a couple weeks ago. I have to tell you, I've never had such rave reviews about any cake I've ever done like I have from this one. Everyone loved the cookie in the middle. I can't wait to try the chocolate cake with peanut butter cookie in the middle. Try the cookie! Your family will love it!

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 206

Thank you so much for the information. I am making a chocolate cake for my mother for her birthday next weekend, so I think I will try it with a peanut butter cookie. It sounds so strange, but it seems to be a great thing!!

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:10am
post #5 of 206

I want to try a red velvet cake with a cookie in the middle but what kind of cookie do you think would go good with it? Thanks sammie

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:52am
post #6 of 206

i would think a sugar cookie would go good with red velvet.

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:15am
post #7 of 206

I'm making a baby shower cake next weekend. At the Mommy's request, it will be chocolate, and I'm going to put a peanut butter cookie in the middle. I sure hope it turns out well icon_smile.gif

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:34am
post #8 of 206

do you still put a light layer of bc below and on top of the cookie? or just below? or at all??? sounds NUMMY!!!

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:36am
post #9 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2uesday

do you still put a light layer of bc below and on top of the cookie? or just below? or at all??? sounds NUMMY!!!

A little on top and bottom to help it stick icon_smile.gif

The order is:

Cake
BC
Cookie
BC
Cake

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:45am
post #10 of 206

OMG! I'd never thought of a cookie inside a cake but I just read the whole thread and sounds so amazing I have to try it, TFS icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ruby2uesday Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:55am
post #11 of 206

yummy! Thanks! sounds so good and i think i'll have to try this shortly!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:05am
post #12 of 206

I love putting cookies inside my cake!!! People are always so surprised by how amazing it tastes icon_smile.gif Here's a pic of one of my cakes with a sugar cookie in the middle

Ruby2uesday Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:31am
post #13 of 206

OOOOOH chefjulie, that looks DELICIOUS! do you always put that much filling above and below your cookie. YUMMY!!!!

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:02am
post #14 of 206

your icing looks so yum chefjulie, is that bc??? and gee that cake looks super yummilicious!! made my mouth water! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #15 of 206

Hey Julie, That looks fantastic!
I have a question for anyone, Do you add the bc on top and bottom of the cookie to keep it from pulling moisture from the cake and drying it out?( I mean besides making it stick to the cake)
Also does the cookie get soggy at all or stay firm, Just wonder if you can let it sit over night or need to eat soon ?
So the cookie doesent just crumble then when you cut through it ?
Sorry for all the questions but thanks for any answers!

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 206

I made a cake for my husband a few years back with a cookie layer. I did a cake version of his favorite candy bar, "Hershey's take five". Chocolate cake covered in chocolate ganache with a layer of peanut butter filling, caramel, and a cookie layer. It came out great. The cookie will soften, but mine didn't become soggy. I just laid the cookie right between the layers, didn't use bc.

fiddlesticks Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 206

louie750.. Ok you can not describe that cake and not share the recipe ! Please !

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #18 of 206

Wow, I'd never thought of placing a cookie btw cake layers! It's seems like the cookie would dry the cake out if you didn't put a layer of bc on each side of it. If you place a piece of bread into a sealed container of cookies, the cookies draw all the moisture out of the bread. I'd like to hear from some others that have tried the cookie layer.
Has anyone tried a brownie layer btw cake layers? I just discovered a wonderful scratch fudge brownie recipe (to die for!).

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #19 of 206

Wow... this sounds delish.... I will no soubt be making this for my moms birthday on Tuesday. Thanks for sharing the idea! Do you think chocolate cake with a chocolate chip and pecan cookie taste good? Thanks again!

fiddlesticks Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #20 of 206

lecrn.. I posted that same question on the last page, It sure seems like it should dry the cake out ?
Maybe thats what the bc does is make a barrier?
I would love to hear if anyome has noticed a drier cake from adding the cookie ?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #21 of 206

ok, this may sound like a dumb question.......but what about when you torte a cake?? I torte all of my cakes.....would I put two cookies in there or three?? Or just the one? I imagine (especially after seeing that gorgeous slice of cake) that having the cookie in there will heighten the cake quite a bit...so do you just NOT torte when you're adding a cookie or what?? I really wanna try this!

fiddlesticks Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #22 of 206

What about layer of cake with bc on top and under it and then either torte or add a second cake layer with a different filling, fruit,pb, mousse what ever fits ?

chefjulie Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:15am
post #23 of 206

The cookie DOES soften, but it is not soggy.
I used SMBC in that pic- I just like the taste better, but powdered sugar BC works as well.
You DO have to put a fairly significant layer of icing on top and bottom because it will (as I learned from a fellow CC'er last week) dry out your cake.
I think that's all icon_smile.gif
Oh, and thanks for the compliments. raquel1 is the one who started me on this phenomenon, and I just cant thank her enough. People flip for this "filling"

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #24 of 206

Can you use the Bettercreme recipe for the filling on this cake?

fiddlesticks Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #25 of 206

chefjulieatkins... Thanks much!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #26 of 206

I made a chocolate cake with a peanut butter cookie and it was fabulous. The cookie (from a bag mix) softened just enough.

chefjulie Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:59pm
post #27 of 206

Oh, yes! I ALWAYS use the Betty Crocker cookie mix. I think my homemade cookies are just too soft and Im not sure they'd hold up well.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:08pm
post #28 of 206

Sorry to butt in icon_redface.gif but the more I visit this forum the more I'm amazed icon_surprised.gif ..NEVER in my wildest dream I thought of a cookie as a filling?????!! icon_eek.gif ...am I getting the right idea? the cookie is the filling of the cake, right?
So, do you have to bake a gigantic cookie? what kind? is it a thin cookie so it won't crash your bottom layer? would the NFSC work? and the cookie won't cumble? sorry girls, this concept puzzles me...

a cookie in the middle of a cake... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif wow...

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #29 of 206

Thanks Rosie2 for asking that question which was about to be my question exactly.

I had never thought of adding a cookie to a cake. Sounds wonderful!

Another question that I have is that do you mention that to clients when they order? Do you ask them what kind of cookie they want or is it just a surprise when they cut the cake?

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #30 of 206

Ok, now I want to go home and make a cake just so I can put a cookie between the layers!!!!!!! It sounds so delicious!!!!!!!
And who besides me wants a slice of chefjulie's cake!!!!!!!! yum!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%