Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By Briarview Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 8:25am by abruntz

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 8

I have had a bride request a Red Velvet Cake and I have copied three off this site and made her a sample cake. It is something we don't really make here but I wanted to fulfil her request. Her comments were that it was not as moist as the one she had tried in the US and that she thought it tasted more orangey. Believe me the cake was moist in my opinion and more so it would not be cooked. Can anyone help me as to what she is asking for. This cake had buttermilk and white vinager in and did taste yummy.

7 replies
NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 8

Was there chocolate in your recipe? I use a german chocolate cake mix as the base of my red velvet and then add cocoa dissolved in vinegar. It's incredibly moist and has a little zing to it. It's weird that she thought it tasted 'orangey'?

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 8

If you are up for making another sample cake you can go to foodnetork's website and get Paula Deen's recipe - GrandMa Paul's Red Velvet cake. I've made it several times and it is delish.

Good Luck,

J

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 8

red velvet is a southern style cake made with sour cream and has a light chocolate taste. the vinegar is usually used to dissolve baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and acts as a leavening agent.
for info about sour cream: http://www.foodsubs.com/Cultmilk.html
scroll down, it's in alphabetic order

traditionally the red color came from beets, but now most recipes call for red food coloring.

red velvet cake is usually frosted with a cream cheese frosting.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 8

I made one using a variation of the WASC recipe and compared it to boxed Duncan Hines Red Velvet. The modified WASC recipe was outstanding compared to the DH mix, very moist and great texture. Customer absolutely loved it.

1 box BC white cake mix
1 box BC milk chocolate cake mix (must be milk chocolate because it is lighter)
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 t salt  
1 pkg cheesecake pudding mix
2 c sour cream
2 c buttermilk
2/3 c water
8 egg whites
1/4 c oil
2 t vanilla
2 t butter flavoring
3 jars wilton Red-Red or 3 small bottles Americolor Super Red

I didn't try this, but I might next time:
Red velvet DH mix ~ boost the flavor by adding a 4oz box of instant chocolate pudding, 3 Ts of light corn syrup (Karo), and 1 tsp butter extract.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

I use the WASC recipe, using 2 DH Red Velvet cake mixes, an added small box of dry chocolate pudding mix, and I sub buttermilk for the water. I don't use the almond, but then, I never do! icon_smile.gif

Jodie

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone and the one I made is the same as Grandmother Paula's Red velvet cake so I am not sure as to what the bride is saying.
Nanfixit No I didn't put chocolate in it and I am concerned that the bride (actually it is the groom) thinks it is orangey but not being biased a man's taste probably a little off compared with a womans. No offence to you men bakers out there.)
We don't have the Red Velvet Cake Mixes here so that is out. I have asked her to get the recipe so will see what she comes up with.

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:25am
post #8 of 8

You know I have tried a couple of different reciepes for Red Velvet and I am sorry but the only one I love personally is duncan hines can you get that there? Beleive me its always a hit here. If you cannot get that the www.foodnetwork.com has a good reciepe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%