Thinking About Attempting A Wedding!

Decorating By LisaD923 Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm by becklynn

LisaD923 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Cake Family!

So I've never made a wedding cake before...My cousing is close to being engaged but isn't yet, and she's already told me that she wants me to do her wedding cake. While that's pretty far off, I'd like to get some "practice" in before could take me that long! icon_lol.gif Plus my 5 year wedding anniversary is coming up in december...might make a small wedding cake for my hubby (and kids to share of course).

My question....Where do I begin? (I have the cake recipes and frosting recipes so that's not an issue) Are there websites that break it all down step by step?

This is probably a stupid question, but each tier of a wedding cake...are they two seperate layers or one layer cut in half? If I were to buy one of those wilton sets (of 3 pans) would I need to bake the recipes twice to get two layers or once and cut each layer in half?

I'm sorry, icon_redface.gif I know this is SOOO basic, but I really want to learn! Any helpful tips for a wedding cake virgin appreciated!!!

4 replies
ginnybug Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 5

If you have a HOBBY LOBBY near you, check their website because they run a 40% off coupon every other week. If you were thinking of buying the Wilton cake pan sets you could get two sets for almost the price of one. I used the coupon and bought 2 sets. It's easier to bake it at the same time in my opinion.You will need two separate cakes per tier. You can use the two cakes, leveled & stacked or torte them and have a 4 layer tier. (I've never torted them myself). I'm not a pro (just a newbie )but I did a stacked cake for my sons birthday and made a wedding cake in my Wilton 3 class. Good luck & have fun!

iluvjay829 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

Good for you for trying something new! I do my wedding cakes 4 layers in each tier. Make two layers (two recipes) and cut each one in half. I do a filling on the 1st and 3rd layer and buttercream in the middle. Hope that makes since. It would be cake, filling, cake, buttercream, cake, filling, cake. Make sure you put a cake board between each layer and dowel them. I know there is a tutorial somewhere on here. Sharon Zambito's stacking DVD may help too. Good luck!

KODYSMOM Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 5

One important thing that I had to learn was to get them stacked straight, without leaning. This was done by making sure that my wooden dowels (or whatever you will use), that are inserted in the bottom tier to support the cakes on top, are cut exactly the same length.

becklynn Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with the above - having 2 of each size pan really helps! I also agree that Sharon's (sugarshack) Stacking DVD is a HUGE help!! All of her DVD's (Buttercream and Fondant) are very helpful.
This may help also: go to and search for "Assembling a Wedding Cake". This video also has a couple of companion videos on how she does the small dot border and dot swags. She uses wooden dowels for support, however I prefer the bubble tea straws (as seen in Sharon's DVD). I do use the center dowel for extra support though!

Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%