Red Icing Coloring Vs Airbrush Which Is Better?

Decorating By sassycleo Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 7:43am by kakeladi

sassycleo Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 3

I have a wedding cake coming up where the entire cake needs to be a dark red. I've been going back and forth between coloring the buttercream vs airbrushing.

Last time I tried airbrushing I ended up with a blue coating all over my entire house! I certainly don't want to have to go through and reclean everything to clean up a red

Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be better to do. Coloring vs Airbrushing. Which would be easier to deal with if there end up being any dings etc during transport?

Any idea on how to combat the house turning a different color when I airbrush?

Any one notice any difference in the amount of staining your mouth goes through from the coloring when you color a buttercream vs airbrushing it?

Thanks for your help!

2 replies
SILVERCAT Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

When I did a fire truck I tinted the BC and also airbrushed it to get that true red color. Have you tried putting newspaper on your counters and than maybe boxes around the cake so the dust doesnt go as far! As for the mouth staining I havent heard anything, but I do tell people it might happen.

kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:43am
post #3 of 3

I suggest a combination; start w/a nice red b'cream (remember to color it pink, orange or yellow before adding the red) then darken it w/airbrushing.
To keep it (the ab'ing) from spreading all over the house make yourself a 'room'....a huge cardboard box w/one side cut other words enclosed....a house w/the front door open....however you want to think of it. Be sure it is away from any heating register that could spread the spray.

Quote by @%username% on %date%