Just Want A Basic Truffle Recipe. Why Is That So Hard?

Sugar Work By snowflake12 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 12:19am by luv2bake6

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 6

I have been searching like crazy for just a simple basic truffle recipe for dipping. It's been a joke.

First I'm not a fan of dark choc or semi-sweet. So my first three attempts, I followed the recipes using dark or semi-sweet, and they all tasted bad to me. Then I followed another recipe using milk melts instead, and that stuff was WAY too hard to roll into a truffle, much less scoop out of the dish. Then I made one recipe that way way too gooey to dip.

I'm just looking for a simple truffle recipe that will stay a little firmer so it can be dipped, allow me to add raspberry jam or just add the lorean's oils for a different flavor.

I really want to add truffles to my list, since my son was just diagnosed with an egg/nut allergy so I've had to remove quite a few candies from my usual gift giving list. The truffles were supposed to be the replacement, but this is getting way too difficult.

Thanks

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 6

The problem comes from the ratio of chocolate to cream.

Using dark or semisweet chocolate, you can get a firm ganache using a bit more cream. for milk chocolate or white, you have to use a bit more chocolate.

If your truffles are too soft, melt some more chocolate, let it cool and add it to your ganache.

I generally use a mixture of milk and dark chocolates (except for the extra dark chocolate lovers I know) But you could use all milk chocolate (even milk chocolate chips). I would not use Candy Melts for truffles only because they don't have the quality a 'real' chocolate has.

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 6

I have good luck with recipes in a book, "All About Candy Making" by Autumn Carpenter which has a basic truffle recipe as well as variations of truffles using the basic recipe including Hazelnut, Deluxe Nut, Mocha, Peppermint, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate, and several more.
The basic recipe:
2 1/2 cups finely chopped real chocolate (cocoa butter as an ingredient), 1 cup heavy cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Melt milk chocolate. Cool to at least 98 degrees. Whip cream until it holds a soft peak. Add worm chocolate, a little at a time to whipped cream, stirring with a spoon. When all chocolate is added, stir in salt and vanilla. Chill in refrigerator until mixture is firm, but not stiff. Beat with a spoon only until fluffy. Scoop and dip, pipe, or mold.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:37am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecookie6

I have good luck with recipes in a book, "All About Candy Making" by Autumn Carpenter which has a basic truffle recipe as well as variations of truffles using the basic recipe including Hazelnut, Deluxe Nut, Mocha, Peppermint, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate, and several more.

Thank you for telling us about this book. It sounds like it would be a great one to buy.

-Debbie B.

queenarmadillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenarmadillo Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 6

Unfortunately I dont have a recipe for my favourite truffle s, as I have been making them by sight for years.I t is based on dark chocolate (which I actually prefer for truffle making, as the recipe is diluted by milk, and I tend to find milk chocolate goes a bit funny when truffled). Basically I melt down dark eating chocolate (the cheap kind as contains a bit less cocoa I think) then add milk until it is slightly darker than melted milk chocolate (and any other liquid you want for flavouring--rum works well). Then just stir in icing (confectioners) sugar until you get the consistency you want. If I am dipping I tend to make it slightly firmer so it doesnt melt into the coating layer, but if rolling in sprinkles or sugar leave it softer to pick them up better and make a slightly nicer texture.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 6

How long do the truffles last once enrobed with chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%