"ice Cream" Icing!!

Decorating By jouj Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 6:11am by ceshell

jouj Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 17

Hi, I want an icing to put on ice cream cones, to make it look like real ice cream, that hardens enough from the outside to keep the right shape, but stays soft enough to eat from the inside, so that the kids don't break their teeth icon_redface.gif .
I found a recipe for: "Airdried BC" in the recipes section, but couldn't contact the person who posted it, to ask if it's the right one for the job.

I need a recipe urgently.
Thanks a lot in advance.

16 replies
jouj Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 17

anyone please??

cupcakemkr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 17

couldn't you use a crusting buttercream and just make it on the thicker side using less liquid?

good luck!

mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 17

I always use a small cake ball on top of ice cream cones and then decorate with a crusting bc on the thicker side!

jouj Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks, but I think it would be too soft. I have to place the cones in a big basket, so they will surely touch, and be ruined.
I need something more like meringue, but not something that I would have to bake.

sweetisome Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 17

Have you considered puting something into the basket that will keep the cones upright and away from eachother? I've seen holders in icecream shops...or maybe a cupcake stand?

jouj Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 17

I thought about putting something in the basket, but the problem is that I couldn't figure out what!!! Does anyone have any suggestion?

sweetisome Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 17

depending on how heavy the cones are some tissue paper might do the trick. Or maybe some of those glass beads that go into flower vases....how many cones do you need to make?

jouj Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 17

The cones will be a little heavy, they will be filled with M&Ms. I have to make 50 cones. icon_redface.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #10 of 17

make a holder cardbourd. fold sides down so you have something that resembles a lid then punch in holes for the cones to sit in, i would use a very thick crusting buttercream i use this for 'hightop' cuppies and works great then just pipe onto cone with a very large round pipping head

7yyrt Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #11 of 17

In the candy castle challenge Susan OâBoyle-Jacobson used some sort of icing for her ice cream cone towers... Does anyone remember what it was?

jouj Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:10am
post #12 of 17

Adatay: Thanks for the idea, I think I will try that.

7yyrt: I tried searching for this challenge, but couldn't find it. How can I find it to see what the lady used?

mouse13 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 17

I did ice cream cupcakes and used the wilton recipe buttercream and it crusted up just enough so when one fell over it didn't mess the icing up. Good luck

jouj Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:13pm
post #14 of 17

I tried Airdried Buttercream Icing, it sems good, but it tastes salty, even though there is no salt in the recipe!!
What I really wanted, was something similar to Royal Icing, but that doesn't get Rock Hard when it dries.

ceshell Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:06am
post #15 of 17

If you are looking for royal that is not rock-hard, try Toba Garrett's glaze. It hardens on the surface but stays soft inside for at least a day...or two or three. I iced gingerbread cookies with it, since I didn't want hard icing on my soft cookies. It was great!

Here's a thread about it, including the recipe: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-606815-.html

GI Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:44am
post #16 of 17
Originally Posted by jouj

I thought about putting something in the basket, but the problem is that I couldn't figure out what!!! Does anyone have any suggestion?

The 5-dozen egg-carton "blue cardboard" that holds the eggs will hold flat-bottom ice-cream cones. I've used that to cart ice-cream cone "cupcakes" to kid's school.

Also, the inside liner of a box of soda (i.e., pepsi or coke) will work, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%