Strawberry Filling Help

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 3:39pm by FromScratch

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 19

I made the strawberry filling recipe from here that you don't have to refrigerate....made with crushed strawberries, sugar and whipped cream. It just doesn't seem thick enough. I let it set for an hour.....what can I put in it to thicken it up some. Its not like syrup, but I don't want it to seep thru the cake...its for a wedding cake with yellow cake......thanks.

18 replies
cakehelp Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 19

Seems strange to me, a filling with whipped cream that you don't have to refridgerate? icon_confused.gif Whipped cream will go bad if left out too long.

Anyway, you can add gelatine to make it stiffer. Dissolve the gelatine in cold water for about 5 minutes, and then heat it up until its totally clear. Let it cool off a bit and slowly add it to you filling while you beat it so that it blends in. It's good that yours has been out of the fridge, it will be easier to get the gelatine in. If filling is very cold it can stiffen too fast and you will get lumps of gelatine in your filling. When it's all mixed in, put in fridge to stiffen for an hour or two. Then you will have strawberry mousse!

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 19

thank you....I questioned the whip cream and they said the sugar in the recipe would preserver it.

dellboi2u Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 19

That does seem weird that you wouldn't have to refrigerate the filling with whipping cream in it.... I add geletin to my strawberry filling all the time and it works great!!! I'm with cakehelp on this one!!

FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 19

???? That sounds odd to me too. If for no other reason than when whipped cream gets will deflate.. unless there's gelatin in there somewhere. Is it Cool Whip or whipped whipping cream?

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 19

Can I ask what recipe you use dellboi2u

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 19

it is whipping cream

FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 19

Wow.. not sure if I'd keep this recipe. Unless there is a TON of sugar in this recipe it's not going to preserve anything.. there's far too much liquid.

Can you link the recipe?

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 19

I'm looking for it now...I got it on this site but think it was in the forum....

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 19

I do have time to start over...does anyone have a good recipe..thanks

FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 19

If you want a truely shelf stable strawberry filling you are limited to a sleeve filling or jam. You can mix that with your average powdered sugar icing recipe and have a lighter strawberry filling. Not bad.. but not the best flavor.

I usually use SMBC with a bunch of strawberry puree added to it. It's really good and can be left out for a day or so without spoilage. I usually chill my cakes up until delivery day.. then I let them come to temp for a few hours and deliver. This will assure that your filling isn't going to spoil. Honestly though I have had strawberry SMBC on the counter for a couple days and it tasted fine.. and I lived to tell the tale.. LOL.

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 19

what about strawberry gelatin...can I make that and maybe mix with my BC?

nutcase68 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 19

I use this recipe and just use whatever flavor of jam I like. I get the Walmart brand and use the entire jar. I think it is 15oz and the recipe calls for 12oz. Sometimes I add 1 cup of milk and a box of pudding. The flavor depending on what I want; vanilla, white chocolate etc. Any left overs are eaten straight out the bowl or with grahm crackers.

Rasberry mousse filling

Serves/Yields: filling for 2 9x13 cakes or one thick layer
Prep. Time: 5 mins.
Cook Time: none
Category: Fillings
Difficulty: Easy

1 8oz. brick cream cheese,softened
1 15oz. jar Polander seedless rasberry
1 8 oz. tub cool whip (I use cool whip lite)

Put cream chesse in mixer whip on med for 2 minutes. Add rasberry mix until combined. Add cool whip until combined. Put mixture in refrigerator for 30 min to set.
Contributed by: 2boysmom on Thursday, September 15. 2005 at 08:38:58

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 19

doesn't the cream cheese need to be refrigerated...I need something that doesn't need refrigeration

nickshalfpint Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 19

This is the one I use. It's really good.

If you use strawberry jello with buttercream and add fresh strawberrys........ that's really good too. It makes it a pretty pink color.

FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 19

I don't know.. the gelatin will melt a bit if it's warm and it could make your BC a bit loose.

The recipe just posted with the cream cheese and cool whip would be stable at room temp.. not that it won't spoil, but it will alteast hold it's shape. I'd probably add some leom juice as I find the jams to be really sweet and like a bit of tart.

nutcase68 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:55pm
post #17 of 19
Originally Posted by dogluvr

doesn't the cream cheese need to be refrigerated...I need something that doesn't need refrigeration

I usually let my cream cheese sit on the counter and warm up first anyhow. I creams nicer that way. I have not had a problem. After I make it I refridgerate it overnight before I put it in the cake.

dogluvr Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 19

doesn't this need refrigeration...this looks like my original recipe.

FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 19

Yes.. the recipes listed in this thread would all require refridgeration. Not to say that they can't sit at room temp for a while, but technically yes.. they would be considered perishable.

The only way to avoid this is to use a shelf stable powdered sugar icing and sleeve filling or jam.. you coudl use bettercream too. your local grocery store probably has it in their bakery department and might be able to sell you a carton. It's a non dairy whipped icing that is not perishable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%