Another Mmf Question, Need Help

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 4:10am by sayhellojana

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 11

So I made a batch of mmf last night. I was going to make a teddy bear with it. When I started to pull it and need it to make it pliable, it is not very stretchy if you will. The Wilton fondant almost seems like taffy to me when I pull it. The mmf just kind of broke off. Hard to explain. I am wondering if I maybe didn't add enough sugar?

It was not real good to do my teddy bear, but I think it will be okay to cover the cake. I had a little bit of wilton fondant, so I made the bear out of that.

It mmf generally softer than wiltons? Should it stretch when it is pulled?
Thanks for your help

10 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 11

Yes, I found mmf is more stretchy which is why I like it to cover cakes. Sometimes it is too soft to make things with but I add tyclose to it and it helps.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 11

I think that you didn't add enough water or crisco. Try adding one or two drops of water and knead that in. Then cover your hands with crico and knead a little more. MMF should stretch more than store bought fondant.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 11

Did your recipe have any corn syrup in it? I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe and it has corn syrup in it to add to the pliability.

mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 11

Sorry, I haven't used that recipe. I have used several others that use glycerin for the stretch! If you have some on hand, maybe try a drop or two of that! I would just keep playing with it until you get it right!! If it is easily torn, it needs more liquid, not sugar!

HTH, thumbs_up.gif

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 11

Sounds like a lack of good ol' crisco. Mine is very crumbly until I add a bunch of crisco.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 11

Did you soften the MMF in the micro? (Not too long or it gets sticky).

I use glycerine instead of corn syrup for pliability.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-7262-5.html

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

It is crumbly, almost like gingerbread cookie dough. It does not have corn syrup in the recipe.

I was too scared to use it for my cake, so I went and bought the Wilton one. I just hate the taste, but am familiar with the product.

Thanks for your help!

So when you say crisco, do you just mean add to my hand or do you add to the recipe??

mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 11

Just cover you hands in crisco and knead away. Keep adding a few drops of water and crisco until it is more pliable.

HTH

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:59am
post #10 of 11

Thank you so much for this advice...I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong either, but yours came out the exact way mine did. I was ready to throw it at a wall, but somehow managed to get it on my cake.
Shannie

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:10am
post #11 of 11

That happened to me the first time I made it. Most of the recipes I've seen, including Rhonda's Ultimate (the one I use), call for a whole bag of sugar, but you usually don't need that much. I tried kneeding in Crisco when I had the crumbly breaky problem, but didn't like that. It happened again (from rolling it out too much, accumulating PS) and I kneeded in just a few drops of corn syrup. That worked better for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%