Wedding Cake Won't Fit In My Fridge!

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 1:47am by IloveYorkies85

IloveYorkies85 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 9

My bottom tier 16x16 wont fit now that its on its board... I just filled it was strawberry filling... the wedding is tomorrow, can I leave it out?? I can't get it to fit without turning it so much it makes me nervous?!

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 9

is it strawberrry sleave filling?? I was always told that fine to be left out even for a couple days!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 9

Will a 16 or 17 inch board fit in your frige? Can you place your big guy on a secure smaller board and then later get it back on the bigger board--which I am assuming the 16 is on a larger like a 20" board--that's what I do.

Then going forward you know how to riggle things to get it all to work. Also in my car I know how big a box will fit in each door and stuff like that. So, often I use a separate plateau or bottom board and deliver everything separate and then just set the cake on that.

Because I like boards that are nice & big and splashy. But no they don't fit in the frige.

cupcakeco Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 9

Is it cold where you are located? This might sound crazy, but perhaps if it is cold enough, and you have the space, you could store it in your car overnight. I would be sure that where you're placing it is level/sturdy/clean/etc., though---a crazy suggestion but a suggestion nonetheless! Good luck.

Another thought-- a covered screened/window paned porch also in the cold?

FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 9

I don't put the cakes on the big board until I assemble for delivery.. makes it easier to fit them in the fridge and because I cover my boards with fondant and the cold will make them get soft I don't like to chill them.

If you can get it on a smaller board like Kate said (or just on the bottom of a sheet pan) that will make your life easier.

cakemaker61 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 9

I also put my 16 tier on a double 16" cardboard and it will fit in a standard frig. and then put it on a covered hardboard at the venue. If you have a side by side frig., well then you have a problem. The commercial fillings are fine left out of the frig. I think you should be fine.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 9

I never refrigerate my cakes. I made a cake with fresh strawberries as the filling a few weeks ago and just iced/decorated that one the morning of the wedding.

FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 9

I have to chill my cakes to put fondant on them since I use SMBC and it would just squish all over the place if I didn't. Also.. if there's pastry cream or something like that in the cake it has to stay cool.

IloveYorkies85 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:47am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone... I left it out, it was fine. That's the last one I'm doing though.. stressed me to the max! Thank goodness for Cake Central!

Quote by @%username% on %date%