Dowelling Topsy/turvy Cakes

Decorating By jillmakescakes Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm by jillmakescakes

jillmakescakes Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 5

I know that these have been posted in separate threads, so I was hoping to get them into one, also I can't find the info on the second method

Can anyone post the diagrams on how to dowel topsy turvy cakes? I'm looking for the diagrams for the "notch" method, the styrofoam wedges method and the carved and stacked method. (does that make sense to anyone else but me icon_lol.gif )

Thank you so much for any help!!!

4 replies
alidpayne Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 5

I totally would love the one with styrofoam wedges as well, since I am making one for Saturday. I have tried to find something with the search feature but alas I haven't come up with much.

jillmakescakes Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 5

i'm bumping this to get some more help, PLEASE icon_cry.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #4 of 5

i am not sure how everyone else does theres but this is what i do:
stacked topsy: mark each dowel individually and cut so that it is at exact height of where i am placing them then place a dollop of fondant on each dowel and pipe some RI to glue the next tier on, if i am travelling far or it is more than two tiers i central dowel it too (i just posted about that in the how to transport 6 tiers like duff does post) my lemon delight topsy is using this method
Topsy hollow method: i only use this if i am worried about slidding: carve out a well in each bottom tier the size of the cake card being place above ( so level out a section on the bottom tier the size of the top tiers cake card) cover with fonadant and dowel as normal with 4 or 5 level dowels and place upper tier in well then border my caryse topsy is using this method
styro topsy: with 'normal' tiers (not wonky) get styro wedges and stick a cake card to the bottom to stop dowel going through styro(you may need to cut your own wedges) dowel as normal for a flat tier then place your styro on cake then with ri glu your next tier to the styro repleat if having more that two tiers. then you just need to cover the styro with flowers or ribbon etc. all cakes over 2 tiers i use central dowel, with these cakes i always central dowel i do not have a current pick of this method but i did use it in this cake for supporting the lid
hope this helped and is the info you were after! as i said i don't know haw others do it these are just my methods thumbs_up.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the info, it is definitely helpful. I was also hoping that someone would post some of the drawings of how the cakes are stacked/dowelled. It looks like the drawings are done in a CAD program.

Quote by @%username% on %date%