Quick! I Need Advice For A Cake Im Making Right Now!!!

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 12:01pm by loriemoms

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 6

I am making my first wedding cake and have the cake layers and icing all ready to go...

My question is this... For a wedding cake that is getting transported by the customer, is it better to just keep the layers intact and put my filling between the whole layers or is it ok to tourt (sp) the layers so that each 2-layer cake with actually be 4 layers with 3 layers of filling.

In other words, I am making 2 layers of a 10" and 2 layers of a 6", so should I just keep each layer intact with filling in between them of can I split each individual layer and fill with filling?

Is one more normal to do that the other? I would rather torte my layers but I worry about it causing the cake to shift more easily during transport. What do you think?

5 replies
LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 6

I think as long as you are using dowels inside your cake for support it would be fine. Probably would depend on what type of icing you are using, and keeping the cake as cool as possible.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:45am
post #3 of 6

They will be fine torted as long as you don't use too much filling. You really just need a smear, enough to cover the cake. It's when you overfill that you get the sliding and bulging and blowouts (oh my!).

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 6

Tell them to drive carefully as well. Maybe you should say something like, "Once the cake leaves my store, I'm not responsible for any accidents etc." I'm sure that someone else can word that better for you.

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:36am
post #5 of 6

I have been using the skinny bamboo wood skewers ( kabob sticks) to hold my layers together. The skewers are pre sharpened and will push right through cardboards. When you stack two tiers, you drive maybe 5 or 6 skewers through the two layers. When you add tier three, you drive a few skewers through cakes 3 and 2, etc. The skewers will drive through 2 tiers. The skewers really keep the cakes together, and they are strong yet thin enough that they don't tear up the cake. After I tap in the skewer in, I mark it, pull it out a little, trim it with a clipper , and push it back in.

I recently made a cake that had 4 stacked tiers. I traveled 50 miles with it, and it didn't shift at all.

I think these skewers can be found at most grocery stores. I found mine at Gordon's Food Service.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 6

I tort all my cakes and yes, keep the layers thin, you don't want things shifting.

and use SPS. It will not only give you peace of mind, but when they go to cut the cake, they won't have to be pulling all these skewers out and such. Its much easier to deal with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%