It Isn't Crusty

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm by mouse13

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 12

This afternoon I am trying to make a cake using Sugarshack's buttercream, and for the life of me, it isn't crusting. I am having to stick it in the fridge for 30-40 minutes between steps. What's wrong? It is humid here today.

Thanks!

11 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #2 of 12

I have never used Sugarshacks recipe, butwhat kind of shortening are you using? I know one time I didnt realize it and my shortening had zero trans fat in it! It took forever to get that baby to crust, little bit at a time. Good Luck, check your side label!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:12am
post #3 of 12

Most likely it is the humidity.
When I use that b'cream I *never* stick it in the frig to harden up. Always leave at room temp.

summernoelle Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 12

Uh oh. OK. I stuck them in the fridge again, but I will go get them out right now.

I'm such a BC novice, but desperately want to figure it out.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:29am
post #5 of 12

could be:

1) too humid

2) too thin ( too much liquid)

3) too much shortening to PS ratio

4) zero trans fat shortening

if u post excalty what u made i can take a look at it for you.

summernoelle Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks Sharon! I looked at it this morning, and touched the top, and it left an imprint from my fingers. Yesterday when I was making it, it didn't look smooth, but gritty. I'll go take a pic....

summernoelle Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 12

Here you go. Also, it wasn't the 0 trans fat stuff. And sorry about the hideous color. icon_redface.gif You can see on the top where my fingers touched it. Should I scrape it off and start over?
LL
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 12

I'd say it's the amount of dye you put in it. That much color can do weird things.

summernoelle Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 12

Leahs-it was already gritty before the dye, it didn't look right from the get go....

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 12

sometimes i gat a bad batch of PS that will cause grittiness, but does not affect crusting. Please write down excalty the recipe you used and I will see if I can figure it out.

summernoelle Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 12

Hi Sharon-

I used the one that is here on your site that is Sugarshack's Buttercream.

5 generous cups of hi ratio shortening 5 pounds powdered sugar
flavorings to taste
hot liquid

I'm thinking I added too much liquid in the end. I think I used almost all the coffee creamer mixutre...oops! Also, when I was stirring it up, the BC felt hot to the touch. That's when I started noticing the problems, like it was almost separating. I tried to cool it off, but it never got back to normal.

I think for tomorrow I'm going to use fondant, but try again later in the week. icon_sad.gif

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 12

Could it be that it is to thin? Maybe add a little bit of sugar and see what happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%