Help!! Gum Paste Flowers ????

Business By mommy2djb Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 12:13am by mommy2djb

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am making gp daisies for a cake for this weekend, and they are giving me grief. They are supposed to be really bright crazy daisies, but it's not going so well. I'm having a hard time getting the gum paste colored bright enough, and then they lighten A LOT as they dry. I have to make tons of them, in six different colors. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jeannie

5 replies
mommy2djb Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 6

When I say they lighten a lot, well it's real frustrating! I made some in really bright orange, and by the time they dried they were a really light pastel!!!!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 6

Can you paint them afterwards? Or airbrush them? Sorry, I'm new to GP also!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 6

Where are you letting them dry? They really need to stay out of bright light and sunlight. I put mine in a dark closet covered and I don't really have any problems with them getting light as they dry. I still have dark red fondant roses from over a month ago that are as dark as when I originally made them but I keep them out of bright light.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 6

tracycakes offers great advice. Light is gp's enemy. However, brushing them with dusts, or airbrushing them also works.

mommy2djb Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:13am
post #6 of 6

they're just drying out on the counter. i covered them. but really, they lightened pretty drastically just in the first 30 minutes of drying. I may try brushing them with and see if that brightens them up a bit. I just have no idea...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%