Help With Cake Recipe - Too Much Oil?

Decorating By CuteCakeName Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm by CuteCakeName

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 2

I'm baking cakes for a wedding this weekend and I'm using the Cake Mix Doctor's recipes. These are actually intended for cupcakes, but I haven't had trouble converting them to cakes in the past. However, my first attempt at the Cappucino Chip layer was a big flop! I am doubling the recipe to make a 12" cake, and even though I baked for well over an hour and a half, the center (about 6" around) just would not cook through (I used flower nails). When I flipped the cake onto a cake board, it immediately soaked the board with grease - ewww. So, my question is - is this too much oil? It seems like an awful lot. I have another recipe from the same book that uses even MORE oil - I modified that one and am hoping it comes out okay, it's baking as we speak.

Cappucino Chip
1/3 c water
4 tsp instant coffee
(the two above are mixed together)
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg vanilla pudding mix
3/4 c milk
3/4 c oil
4 eggs
1c miniature chocolate chips

Here's the modified one baking now:

White Russian
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg vanilla pudding
1 cup oil ( Iused 1/4c + 2 tbsp)
3/4 c milk
4 eggs
1/4 c vodka
1/4 c + 2 tbsp Kahlua (I subbed 1/2 c liquid vanilla caramel coffee creamer for the vodka and Kaluha)
1tsp vanilla

Thanks in advance for your help! I wasn't sure if I was just having a bad cake day when I tried that first one icon_sad.gif

Heather

*edited for spelling - oops

1 reply
CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 2

I finished the White Russian cake and although it did leave some grease spots on the cake board, it wasn't nearly as bad as that first Cappucino Cake. My second attempt at the Cappucino is in the oven as we speak, it's looking bettter already - but I would still like to know if anyone else thinks that the oil was the culprit. Please? icon_smile.gif

Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%