Icing Bulges

Decorating By angldust Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 12:01am by sugarshack

angldust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angldust Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 11

I have recently been doing more cake with fruit filling. I'm getting a ring where the icing is bulging out between the layers. No matter how many times I fix it, it seems to just bulge again. Any advice?

10 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 11

sugarshack recommends using a stiff dam of buttercream when filling your cakes...i have found that using this technique virtually eliminates all bulging on my cakes.

oh...and make sure that the height of the jam filling is lower than the top rim of the dam

HTH

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 11

After reading a tip by sugarshack about letting the cake rest overnight in the fridge i have to say that eliminated the buldge on my cake. In the morning i could clearly see the buldge, and i just smoothed it away. It didn't resurface again. Of course you have to plan accordingly so that it has time to settle before icing it. HTH

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 11

I agree. I can't tell you why the ring of BC works, but it does.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 11

I agree. I can't tell you why the ring of BC works, but it does.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 11

What timing on your post. I have been having the same problem.....I don't refrigerate my cakes but I do let them rest overnight....but I think refrigerating my cake might be the answer.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 11

PS. I do not fridge any of my cakes and do not get bulges. The ticket for me is: 1) very very stiff Bc dam and 2) letting it settle filled overnight.

HTH

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 11

sugarshack, so you do the fillings and then let the cake settle overnight, and then ice the cake the next day? So do you cover the cake up somehow while it's settling overnight?

Thanks.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

PS. I do not fridge any of my cakes and do not get bulges. The ticket for me is: 1) very very stiff Bc dam and 2) letting it settle filled overnight.

HTH

Opps..sorry Sharon. icon_redface.gif I thought i had read that tip was from you. I'm sorry for the confusion. Maybe it was the resting over night part i read from you and the frigde tip from someone else, along in the same thread. There is so much info here on CC it's hard to keep it straight who said what.
I am such a HUGH Fan of your work! I've put your videos on my birthday wish list. I hope to one day be as brilliant of a decorator as you.

Suzanne

sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #10 of 11

no worries Suzanne. I just wanted to clarify, as me and the fridge do not cross paths....LOL

sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #11 of 11

oh and PS. Thank you so very much for those very nice woirds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%