New Wilton Serving Chart Sucks

Decorating By lilyanddayne Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 1:11am by BlakesCakes

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 12

I was just looking at the wilton website to try to figure out my tier sizes for my first wedding cake and they have changed the serving chart. Now instead of giving a serving number next to a pan size, they are showing you pictures of different cakes put together and how many that "cake" will serve. What a pain in the A$$ this is! Wilton you suck! The cake I want to make is a round stacked 18,14,10,8,6. With the six not being cut. My yearbook from 1999 says these pans will serve 268 not including the 6.
Of course wilton couldn't just make it easy for us, they haven't got the "cake" that I need pictured. For me to get the servings I have to dissect several of their pictures and add and subtract. I tried this and it takes forever!! Who has time for that! Just another SUCKY thing from WILTON!!!!
SORRY THIS IS SO LONG BUT I HAD TO VENT!
DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY?

11 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 12

The Wilton site used to be familiar and easy...but since Wilton merged with another company(which makes kitchen gadgets and scrapbooking stuff) they must have decided to "freshen up" everything. And now it's a mess. I hate it too, it's almost impossible to find anything anymore. It's just another example of "fixing" something which wasn't broken to begin with.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 12

I use the chart found in the Yearbook. The only thing new they've added to that is the most recent years have a "party size" portion added. Other than that, the 1999 serving chart is the same as the 2009.........in the Yearbooks.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 12

No pics on the chart I access on the new website:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Pretty simple & easy to follow. Works well for me.

Rae

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:18am
post #6 of 12

The one I looked at was the same web site, but I went to weddings, then clicked on servings. It was horrible. This one with the actual numbers is what I was looking for. Why it's not under weddings who knows. The numbers are different than what is in my wilton yearbook. They changed the servings on alot of them. The more I look at this website, the more I like Earlene's chart.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #7 of 12

I don't like Wilton's new website at all! It's a pain in the butt!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 12

I don't like Wilton's new site either.. but it's new.. I'm sure if I just happened upon it today it wouldn't seem too bad. Their old site was a bit of a pain too.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #9 of 12

To find the chart you're looking for, go to the SEARCH box on Wilton's site and type in "BATTER AMOUNTS". This should render you the chart. Once you find it...bookmark it, because some of their site is not logical at all!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:52am
post #10 of 12

I like Earlene's better. Here's the link.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:03am
post #11 of 12

Earlene's is o.k. But I'm like Indydebi...I use Wilton's chart, especially for pricing, because you get more money. And I've heard that most vendors go by Wilton's chart for cutting anyway, and I think the servings are fairly accurate based on 1x2x4-inch slices.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:11am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

Earlene's is o.k. But I'm like Indydebi...I use Wilton's chart, especially for pricing, because you get more money. And I've heard that most vendors go by Wilton's chart for cutting anyway, and I think the servings are fairly accurate based on 1x2x4-inch slices.

Me, too. Earlene's "free" chart doesn't deal with sheet cakes, etc., either.

I have found that with older Wilton yearbooks, the numbers can be very different. I've never delved into the "why".

I tell people to cut the cakes the way Earlene suggests, and I've never had complaints about not enough cake.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%