What Do You All Cover Your Masonite Boards With?

Decorating By lauden Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm by havingfun

lauden Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am using masonite boards for the first time for a wedding cake this weekend. I am wondering what most use to cover the boards with, or should I just put the cardboard circle on top. I am afraid with the masonite and cardboard circle, the border needed to cover it would be too intrusive. Also, has anyone used the wooden dowel down the center with masonite boards. I am contemplating having my husband cut a small hole in the center of each board. Is this necessary? I am setting up on site.

5 replies
PinkZiab Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 6

I use all masonite in my cakes. I do not use any cardboard. Each tier sits on a masonite circle (I don't wrap them in another) and I drill each circle (except the base/presentation board) with a hole for the center dowel. I dowel the bottom tier up from underneath and then drop it onto my fondant trimmed baseboard, hot gluing it into place, then lower the other tiers onto the dowel so there is no hole in the top of the top tier. Let me know if you would like me to PM you full detail insstructions on this stacking method.

Auntiof8 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 6

I have used an embossed food safe foil I get from my cake store (also available on-line, and in colors) when the bottom tier is smaller than the board. If cake set up room is an issue, I will use 3-4 cardboards (at least 2-3 inches larger than bottom tier so can do nice bottom borders), and cover them in the foil. I've even used wrapping paper and covered it with food safe cellophane (like for food gifts), then stacked my layers. The foil can add a pretty detail when it's a color matching any flowers on the cake. For white on white cakes, I use either gold or silver foil-bride's preference. I have not cut center holes in my cakes, but add 1/4 inch dowels in the center, and then at about the placement of the next tier or separator plate. Once the bottom layer is done, I take the plate or cardboard round, lay it on top and then mark with a knife. The dowels then go into the cake about an inch and a half inside the mark. Then as you layer a tier or separator plate right on top you have good support. If you are layering cakes right on top of each other, I do add another off center dowel long enough to go through all the stacked layers-use a pencil sharpener to add point to the dowel, and just push it through-tough to do if you've used more than one cardboard on the upper layers. Hopefully that makes sense. Good luck-I love doing wedding cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

lauden Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 6

PinkZiab can you send me those instructions? Also, when you say you just set the cake on the masonite circle, is masonite food safe or do you use something between the cake and the masonite. I am not very clear on this.

PinkZiab Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 6

Yes the masonite is food safe and no I do not put anything between the cake and the masonite. The cake is placed directly on the masonite, just as you would a cardboard cake circle. I'll PM the instructions to you.

I wanted to add that I build the cost of the masonite boards into my cakes, and therefore view them as disposable. I know some choose to get a deposit on them and have them returned to them, but I do not. If you DO want to get them back and re-use them, you then might want to consider covering them in some sort of food safe contact paper simply for ease of cleaning. But, again, I do not cover them at all, and the cake sits directly on them.

havingfun Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 6

Where do you get food safe masonite boards?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%