Need Ideas For Filling Flavors

Decorating By Luckylurker Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm by SweetOccasionCakes

Luckylurker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luckylurker Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:11am
post #1 of 7

I need a bit of help for flavors. I have to make a red velvet cake, and a spice cake. Anyone know some good filling flavors to go with these kinds of cakes? Is there a typical filling for either?

Thanks!

6 replies
SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:46am
post #2 of 7

I use a butter roux frosting on red velvet and use it as the filling as well. I usually sprinkle some chopped walnuts or pecans on the filling as well. As far as I know the cooked butter icing is what the "correct" icing is for red velvet but I have had plenty of them made with a vanilla icing or a cream cheese icing which are also very good.

Spice cake is always yummy with cream cheese! I did a spice cake last month where I used cheesecake as the filling. It was expensive and vey decadent but everyone LOVED it.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:17am
post #3 of 7

I've always liked peanut butter icing/filling for spice cake. Cream cheese is delicious for red velvet, and spice cake as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 7

For spice: apple; bavarian cream; buttercream spiced w/cinnamon;

For red velvet: bavarian cream; whipped cream ; cream cheese;

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 7

I use pie fillings for the filling in some of my cakes. Two new ones that I think would do great on a spice cake are Caramel Apple and Apple Cranberry. I can't wait to try them. I do add some ps or cs to thicken a little.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

I love the idea of apple pie filling for the spice cake, with cream cheese frosting.

I dont' know what flavor Red Velvet cake ends up tasting like...but I bet something neutral, what kakeladi said: bavarian cream, whipped cream or cream cheese would be yummy!

Good luck!!

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 7

I actually use different versions of cream cheese fillings for both red velvet and spice. The filling for red velvet has chopped pecans in it and the filling for the spice cake has some cinnamon in it.

Amanda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%