Leather Looking Fondant?? Anyone?? Help.

Decorating By nesweetcake Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm by alanahodgson

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 11

I need to make fondant look like leather, anyone have any tips????
Please help. Thanks in advance!!!!

10 replies
Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #2 of 11

someone posted this same question yesterday, you might scroll down a bit and check that out...I think the suggestion was a firm terry cloth towel/wash cloth, or a stff bristle brush, or some tooth picks bound with a rubber band, depending on the look you wanted...

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #3 of 11

I just did some cowboy boots cookies and covered them with fondant that I colored cream and marbled with a chocolate brown. Then I took an impression mat that had small swirls and imprinted the fondant with that. Once I had the fondant on the cookie I took a little sewing wheel that had small teeth on it and made lines where the top of the heel would be and and natural folds of the boot was and where the straps at the the top of the boot would be. Then finally I took cooper and a little silver luster dust and dusted the cookie. It really came out great. The dust really made the swirls stand out and look like tooled leather. Hope this helps.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #4 of 11

If you are wanting to get the leather/skin texture let the rolled out fondant set for a few minutes then lift and move the fondant. As you do this the fondant will start to crinkle. Even after you attach the fondant will continue to wrinkle. The marking wheel will add to the affect with the "stitching".

HTH

Michele

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #5 of 11

thank you michele that is a great idea. i tried balling up a piece of computer paper and flattening and pressing it out on top of the fondant but i like your idea much better!

nesweetcake Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone. I'll give them a try.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 11

i don't know if this is something you would be willing to try but another thing that you can try is modeling chocolate, it is only 2 ingred.
semi sweet chocolate chips, and light karo syrup. take a look a my purses i just made and the fish basket in my pics and tell me what you think and if you want the recipe for the stuff i will give it to you. You can do it with white chocolate as well. I cover both of those cakes with a dbl batch of modeling choco. and still have about a 3 rd of the batch left.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 11

. . . lots of times polymer clay techniques are transferable to fondant . . . http://www.polymerclayweb.com/leather.asp . . . icon_biggrin.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 11

. . . the other thread was regarding the "unfinished" side of leather . . . http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6127570-.html#6127570

nesweetcake Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for more great ideas. I never thought of using the modeling chocolate or the polymer stuff either. Thanks.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 11

I find that fondant mixed with modeling chocolate gives a nice leather looking finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%