Help With My Speech!

Decorating By boygeniusandme Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm by indydebi

boygeniusandme Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 5

I'd like to do something about cakes/cake decorating for my informative speech for class. I cannot narrow down an outline. I need 3 main points/topics. I am a beginner/intermediate decorator, and do not use fondant yet.

I was thinking something like (1) Find perfect recipe/design/idea that fits with theme of event. (2) Gather all materials/supplies (3) Frost/Decorate.

Or maybe (1) Bake cake, (2) Frost cake (Give buttercream recipe, explain how to fill in between layers and ice smoothly), (3) Decorate cake (give examples of common decorations).

Any advice appreciated! I need to have posters/props/etc.

I was also considering doing a demo of simple Halloween cupcake with grass and spiders piped on (since speech is right before Halloween).

Also considering having enough materials for everyone to make a mini Halloween cupcake like the one I demo! Like every 2-3 people share supplies. I do have enough supplies, not too big of a class.

4 replies
CakeForte Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #2 of 5

So this is a "how to" of sorts? Just some ideas...

Introduction - what you are going to talk about. "I'm going to tell you how to do XYZ to create this final product." Background...how did you get started? Why are you interested in this topic? The following presentation will show you how to get started.

Point 1 - Prepare materials and bake

(1) Find perfect recipe/design/idea that fits with theme of event. (2) Gather all materials/supplies

Point 2 - Tips to get the "perfect cake" ready to decorate.

Point 3 - How to ice and decorate. This is where your creativity comes through
2) Frost cake (Give buttercream recipe, explain how to fill in between layers and ice smoothly), (3) Decorate cake (give examples of common decorations).

You should also do the hands on demo. Anything interactive makes a great presentation.

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:11am
post #3 of 5

Is this your informative speech or your demonstration speech? Or are you combining the two?

I like the part about finding the right recipe .... why fondant or carved cakes need a more firm cake.

Cake prep ..... how to wrap to properly freeze, how to properly thaw, how to trim the dome to make it flat (my neighbor thought this was GENIUS when I told her that's how we got flat cakes ... duh!!!), how to put a dam between the layers, how to place the dam slightly inside the edge of the cake to prevent bulging. How and why we crumb coat.

Icing and smoothing techniques: Melvria, Viva, Hot Knife, drywall scraper, why a turntable is crucial.

boygeniusandme Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both! There are just sooo many topics I could get into. So many gadgets/techniques to explain. I want to make it pretty specific and not be talking for hours, lol.

Also, it is supposed to be an informative speech. Do you think I should not do the demo at all? I really wanted to demo while I talked about the decorating. And I also would like to get the class involved.

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 5

Maybe you want to save this topic for your demo speech?

Or narrow the focus ..... "Inform" them on why styrofoam and centerpiece cakes are not cheaper, like the magzs say they are. "Inform" them on what's involved in making a Duff cake. Both of these make good demo speeches, but when you can make them understand it in an informative speech, then you've got it nailed!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%