Help With Melting Candy Melts!

Sugar Work By LoriMc Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm by bsharp

LoriMc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:17am
post #1 of 10

I keep trying to melt a handful to use for a gumpaste bow center. I have burned two batches! Can someone please tell me how to melt them correctly? I tried the microwave and I tried on the stovetop. I think I am burning them.

9 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 10

I always nuke 'em. Handful of melts in a microwavable bowl, 30 seconds on 50% power, stir, 30 seconds on 50% stir, if not completely melted, then 5-10 seconds on high.

HTH
Rae

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:42am
post #3 of 10

Yeah, you have to do it in "baby steps" in the microwave. There's a lot of internal heat and as you stir them, they REALLY melt down.

Or if your melts are old, they can scorch even faster.

LoriMc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Yeah, you have to do it in "baby steps" in the microwave. There's a lot of internal heat and as you stir them, they REALLY melt down.

Or if your melts are old, they can scorch even faster.




Mine must be old bc I have tried them twice in the microwave now. Plastic container, 30 on defrost, stir, another 15 on defrost, and they never become liquid, they just start turning brown like they are scorched.

How long do candy melts stay good?

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #5 of 10

I've used "old" melts--basically a lot of white bloom on top--without problems. I think it's the plastic container. Plastics get significant hot spots in microwaves, even if the plastic is marked microwave safe. I'd give some a try in glass or ceramic.

Just my .02
Rae

LoriMc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #6 of 10

This may be a stupid question, but I have some baker's chocolate in the cupboard. Could this be used in place of candy melts since my bow is brown?

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:58am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I've used "old" melts--basically a lot of white bloom on top--without problems. I think it's the plastic container. Plastics get significant hot spots in microwaves, even if the plastic is marked microwave safe. I'd give some a try in glass or ceramic.

Just my .02
Rae




agree.

robinscakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #8 of 10

Same as Blakescakes' method for me. Just short periods of microwaving. I always stop when there are still a few chunks in the middle and just stir until they melt--the rest will be hot enough to melt what's left.

I can't answer for sure about the baker's chocolate, but it's completely different from candy melts, and I'm not sure what recipe you're using for the gumpaste. I wouldn't substitute just to be safe.

LoriMc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 10

I tried a glass bowl first time around and a plastic container the second and third time around. Still scorched even on the defrost setting.

My bag had a huge tear in the side and I wonder if too much moisture got in or out of the candy melts. I finally got the last handful at the very bottom of the bag to melt over warm water.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will buy a new bag and and see how they do next time!

bsharp Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 10

Hi Lori,

I think that "chocolate coating" is different then the chocolate bark from the store. Not sure, just think so... icon_smile.gif I take my chocolate melts out of the bag and place them in a bowl and melt them for 30 second intervals. Hope this helps. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%