Pure White Buttercream

Decorating By mclean Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm by Sweet_Guys

mclean Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:57am
post #1 of 12

I am wondering what recipe is suggested (hopefully an easy one!) to make a nice white buttercream.

Thanks in advance!

11 replies
tannersmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 12

I use wilton's snow-white buttercream icing by wilton..I"m sure someone has a better tasting one with less shortening. But it really is snow white.

mclean Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:17am
post #3 of 12

Thanks for this. Yes I would like a real yummy one. I've looked at a number of recipes for buttercream in the recipe section but just am not sure how white they are.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 12

indydebi's recipe is delicious and is white as long as you don't add any butter and use clear vanilla. Same goes for sugarshack's recipe.

lindambc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 12

I usually use wiltons white buttercream icing. But at times clients want the actual butter in it and not just butter flavor, so I use the white food coloring to make it white and that works too!

sugarycreations Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 12

Use whatever recipe you like. If like me, you use butter & real vanilla, you will need to work with the icing to make it icing. DH's years of experience in a paint store is VERY useful in getting colors right. A TINY bit of black will change the ivory or cream colored icing to white. Use a VERY tiny bit. Much easier to add a little bit more if needed than cry over grey icing. icon_wink.gif

mclean Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for this great tip! It would be nice to use a trusted recipe that I know will taste good!

MissyTex Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #8 of 12

I add a tiny bit of violet to my icing, which is 1/3 butter and 2/3 shortening. I have to fiddle around with it a bit, though, to get it white. I never add enough in the beginning. I usually add it when I'm creaming the butter and shortening, but end up adding more during the whole process.

adobewife Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 12

I only use Sugarshack recipe. I use 1/2 & 1/2 shortening to butter. I also use Land O' Lake butter or a European Butter, they do not add coloring to their butter, and I get beautifully white and smooth buttercream.

kandu001 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 12

I never would have though to use dark colors to tint my icing white! What a great idea! I also know that Wilton sells "white tint" food coloring to make things white, but I have never tried it! princess.gif

solnx Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 12

Yummmmm sounds delicous thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 12

I'm going to have to try the black, as well.

However, for now, here's what we have found that works:

When using all butter buttercream, you end up getting that ivory to yellow look. Use the wiltons (I know, I know...it's about the only thing we'll buy) whitener. For a batch of buttercream, you need to use the whole bottle.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%