Can Regular Icing Colors Be Adjusted To Use In Candy Melts??

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 12:01am by LoriMc

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 12

I always forget that you have to have specific food coloring for candy melts. Is there anything that can be added to regular icing colors in a pinch that works?

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 12

Regular colors contain water which will cause the melts to seize, like other chocolates. Powdered color can work in a pinch, a dab or shortening or paramount crystals will thin the candy.

LoriMc Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 12

I have a gumpaste bow that I was going to try to put together with candy melts. I made it today and the cake is for Friday night. I thought the candy melts would be a faster way to have the bow ready.

If it seizes up the chocolate would that be a problem for a gumpaste bow?

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 12

Lori---

Although we haven't tried it yet, if you're using chocolate as a glue, I don't see how it would affect your gumpaste.

Since it's Wednesday, try a sample gumpaste creation and try attaching it together with the candy melts.

We also use piping gel or water to hold gumpaste objects together.

Paul & Peter

LoriMc Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, I feel an experiment coming on......

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:12am
post #6 of 12

Shortening added along with icing colors will work for candy. The shortening keeps the candy from siezing.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #7 of 12

I actually usually put a small blob of shortening in my melted candy melts. I think it makes the chocolate flow better when you are piping thin lines. I just stir it in the hot chocolate, and once its absorbed fill the bag and pipe away

rvanok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvanok Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #8 of 12

Americolor Flo-Coat is made specifically for tinting candy melts/chocolate with gel pastes. I use 5 parts Flo-Coat to 1 part gel paste. It works very well, and allows you to match chocolate perfectly with icing.

LoriMc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I actually usually put a small blob of shortening in my melted candy melts. I think it makes the chocolate flow better when you are piping thin lines. I just stir it in the hot chocolate, and once its absorbed fill the bag and pipe away

Will the candy melts dry just as hard with shortening? Enough to hold a loop bow in place?

LoriMc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 12

FYI I used the shortening with a handful of candy melts. It did help the candy not seize up when I added the americolor.

What I found out is this....americolor brown does not produce the same shade of brown in white candy as it does in white icing and gumpaste. It looked very grainy and I could never get the color to match the bow. I guess I need to buy some candy colors or that flow stuff in the future.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 12

Im sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, and I dont mean to be mean at all, but if you needed brown, why didnt you just use the regular chocolate brown melts??

And, as long as you dont put a TON of shortening in there, it hardens just fine. You have to add quite a bit for it to not harden.

Grainy?? Did you overheat your chocolate? aka burn it? Sometimes when I get in a hurry I melt it too fast, and the chocolate actually burns. I have done this several times in the microwave. Otherwise, add a tad bit more shortening, until its smooth.

LoriMc Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Im sorry, maybe this is a dumb question, and I dont mean to be mean at all, but if you needed brown, why didnt you just use the regular chocolate brown melts??

And, as long as you dont put a TON of shortening in there, it hardens just fine. You have to add quite a bit for it to not harden.

Grainy?? Did you overheat your chocolate? aka burn it? Sometimes when I get in a hurry I melt it too fast, and the chocolate actually burns. I have done this several times in the microwave. Otherwise, add a tad bit more shortening, until its smooth.

All I had was white candy melts and it was 11:00 at night! lol

It didn't matter if it was grainy or not, the colors didn't match so I couldn't have used it either way. I just ended up using royal icing....and it's sitting in front of a space heater!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%