How Do You Get Them So Tall?

Decorating By lmnettles Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm by MacsMom

lmnettles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmnettles Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 12

I have been admiring all the wonderful cakes on the site and a question has occurred to me. How do you all get your cakes so tall? I've typically stuck to two 9"pans and then layered them with bc in between and they are only about 4" tall. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 12

You could torte your layers so each 9" is cut in half and fill those with the butter cream. Other than that I think you would have to use more layers. I am not sure how much more height you would get. That is all I can think of!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 12

I like tall cake layers so what I do is fill my pan more than most people do. Depending on what recipe I use (how much it rises) as to how full I fill it. I usually go up to 3/4 full on most.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 12

I do three layers of cake per tier. I fill 2 inch pans up all the way with batter, slice the tops off evenly while still in the pan, so my cakes are usually between 5-6 inches tall...

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 12

Pans are also made 3" tall. You can torte each layer, have 3 layers of filling and you would have a cake between 6"-7" depending on how much filling you use and how much you fill the pans.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with mcdonald and summernoelle... fill the pans 2/3 to 3/4 full, and even then, I will sometimes use three layers of cake, if I want it really high...

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 12

If you watch Sugarshack's dvds, she uses 3/4" foam core under each tier which will also add height.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 12

I like baking three 8" or 9" cakes and torting them so that you get six layers of cake plus your layers of filling. I think it creates a more dramatic effect. And people are AMAZED when they cut into it and see all those layers. I brought the purple roses cake to work today and more than one person asked if it was a dobash (pronounced DOH bosh and also spelled doberge) cake.

My family and friends are so used to WalMart sheet cakes or simple two layer cakes, that they are surprised to see four or six layers. The exception is with doberge, a popular specialty cake with roots in the the New Orleans area, made popular by the famous Gambino's Bakery. It usually consists of six to eight layers of yellow cake with chocolate custard filling and covered with poured fondant. A popular variation is to fill half the cake with chocolate and the other half with lemon. You pour lemon fondant on one side and chocolate on the other so you know which is which. All chocolate versions are also available.

If you want read more about this wonderful cake, here's a Wikipedia article.

You can also see pictures and pricing on the Gambino's website.

Kim

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 12

Oh yes! I haven't made very large scale cakes yet, but when I make a 6" cake...I love, love, LOVE to make it at least 5-6 inches high! Very dramatic and pretty and much more fun to decorate. More room for scroll and piping work!

And I manage that from just 2 pans, filled up pretty high and then smushed down a bit right after they come out of the oven. So I get two layers from each pan, with the filling, comes out to right about 5-6 inches high!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 12

icon_lol.gif Kim...I was just looking at your Flickr pics, and those cupcakes with the green and yellow frosting made me hungry for....GUACAMOLE! Ole!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif Si! And don't forget the frozen mango margaritas!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 12

I bake 2 cakes and slice each in half. I use 3 of the cake halves with layers of filling and the 4th one gets used as for my dame (I mix BC in with cake scraps for a nice stiff dam - I learned about it here at CC several months ago).

They are still 4" high, though. With all 4 halves it would be 6" high, but most of my cakes are for kids' birthdays -- those small, themed cake plates wouldn't accomodate a 6" tall slice of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%