Ribbon On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By MandiT Updated 8 Jun 2013 , 1:57am by SweetAngiesCake

MandiT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandiT Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 17

I have a cake to do with buttercream icing only. How do I keep the ribbon from collecting stains/"wet spots" ?

TIA!

16 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 17

I have done many cakes with ribbons. If you let the bc crust well. I usually let it sit overnight and put the ribbon on the next day you won't have any problems with it. At least that is what has worked for me.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 17

I usually take the amount of ribbon that I need and I give it a litght spray of PAM. It will darken the color of the ribbon just a bit, but that way you won't risk having the grease seep through the ribbon in spots. When you spray it with PAM it gets an even coat and looks uniform through out.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 17

Hi,
I iron the ribbon between wax paper. It covers the ribbon with wax preventing and grease leaking onto the ribbon. If you use this method, place a piece paper towel on top and underneath the wax paper to prevent wax from getting on your ironing board and iron.
Good luck. PM me with any other questions.
Have a great day!
thumbs_up.gif

lillidalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillidalla Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 17

Well, if you have the time and inclination, here's a method that will seal the cake side of the ribbon and thus won't allow any buttercream seepage. Purchase clear contact paper. Measure width and length of the ribbon needed. Measure and cut the contact paper exactly the same and apply it to the cake side of the ribbon. You will need to do this in several increments because of the nature of the contact paper; in other words, it's virtually impossible to cut a strip of contact paper the length of the entire ribbon and get it on straight. Therefore, it's quite a time consuming process but the end result is very good. I found this tip on CC.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 17

I just let the ribbon soak in the grease. I know that it will get a shade darker and I tell my brides this.
Edna icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 17

I know this may stir a pot the wrong way but, if most people here won't put clear contact paper on a cake board why would you put it on your ribbon?

I'd do as tonedna or luv2cake do and either spray it with oil or saturate it another way so that the coloring change will be uniform. Let the customer know that the ribbon shade will be slightly darker.

Good luck!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 17

just posted a cake with ribbon, our first. listened to the people here on this site and just let the bc crust,no problems and we did it two days before the wedding, we even rescued the ribbon and used it on a family cake.

lillidalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillidalla Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 17

By all means, go with the other methods that apparently are easier and do not cause any apprehension. Cupcakemkr, I just followed a ribbon tip that I found on this site prior to doing my nephew's wedding cake. It worked for me and no one suffered any harm. I wasn't aware that most people here won't use contact paper for cake boards (although I've never even given a thought to doing so myself). Mea culpa.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 17

hi everyone! i have a newbie question, please. how do you attach the ribbon to the cake? when the ends come together, how are they put into place??? probably something really simple, but in my mind i always try to complicate everything, lol!! have a great day everyone! TIA! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:09am
post #11 of 17

double stick tape to connect the ribbon

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #12 of 17

I wish I would've asked this question. I recently did three different ribbon cakes. My buttercream is half butter/ half hi-ratio. My ribbons were "SOAKED" with oil. One cake with a blue ribbon looked like a black ribbon; the other colors weren't too bad. I did let my cakes crust, but I used icing to attach the ribbon. I like the idea of ironing the wax paper; I may try that next time. I also wondered if just putting a piece of scotch tape (one sided) on the back of the ribbon would work.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:29am
post #13 of 17

I'm sure the "crusting" method works great but I use IMBC and it doesn't crust.

I'm making a BC cake in December with brown ribbon (light blue BC on the cake) around the base of each tier. The cake board will also have brown ribbon around it to match the ribbon on the tiers.

Should I "Pam" the ribbon that will go around the cake base so it looks dark like on the tiers? If the ribbon is greasy will double stick tape still work?

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:41am
post #14 of 17

I just cut strips of wax paper the same size or even a "hair" wider than the ribbon, then you don't have to worry and it is really easy. The part of the wax paper that is a "hair" bigger doesn't even show if the cake is frosted white or ivory. hth

I must say a big "duh" to myself on the double stick tape. I have been using straight pins. Does give the cake a nice buttoned up the back look though icon_redface.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #15 of 17

I have been getting my ribbon from a friend who runs a floral shop.Her ribbon is stiffer and is more tolerable to liquids than most.I would just suggest just trying a stiffer ribbon yourself maybe,it seems to work for me but I have been waiting to put it on at the last minute too. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #16 of 17

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to try ironing wax paper onto the ribbon. I have a couple of mini's I put together from some left over cake from the tasting I had today so I will experiement.

SweetAngiesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAngiesCake Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 1:57am
post #17 of 17

When using the "Pam" method, do you spray both sides of the ribbon or just the side that will be touching the cake??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%