I Need Help With My Pavlova!

Baking By CCmomma Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 9:36am by miscue

CCmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCmomma Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 7

I have a very dear friend here in the USA, but she is from Australia. She has been so good to me and my family this year and I want to do something nice for her. I want to make her pav for Christmas. icon_razz.gif So I did a trial run this past weekend and thought I did great. I used the Joy of Cooking recipe and it was nice and smooth in texture and beautifully shinny. I cooked it and it looked perfact. About 4" thick and just the right color.

When I went to turn it over, it exploded! icon_surprised.gif I mean the shell that formed around it blew apart and the marshmelloy inside was only about 1.5" thick. icon_cry.gif It was tender but kind of dense yet tasted good and was smooth.

I need help to find out what went wrong!

6 replies
haley628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haley628 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 7

I can't help with what went wrong, but I use the "Pavlova Pyatt" recipe from epicurious.com and it turns out great every time! (I double the amount of cream that I put on top of the shell)

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #3 of 7

OK so I'm probably not too bright, but what is pavlova? Sounds yummy!

haley628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haley628 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetisome

OK so I'm probably not too bright, but what is pavlova? Sounds yummy!

It's a meringue topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. The meringue is crispy on the outside. It is yummy!

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #5 of 7

Years ago I had something made by an old french woman she called "pinch pie" it was a meringue baked into a crust and then it had strawberries on top (like a filling, but just sliced fresh strawberries with a little sugar.) and that was topped with whipped cream. The meringue was the crust....VERY yummy...does that sound like to same thing?

CCmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCmomma Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 7

Yes the pinch pie sounds like a Pav, but the problem I ran into was my crust was 4 inches thick and the filling was onlt about an inch and a half. Not at all what I was expecting.

This desert is great for dieters. You can use sugar substitues and their is next to no carbs in it. Then you can use lite cool whip and fruit on top and you have a very low card sugar free dessert that is so yummy to eat! If I can figure out how to cook it right I might acctually be able to shead some pound to spite my sweet tooth!

I will check out the other recipie and see if I cannot get it right with that one. Thank you.

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:36am
post #7 of 7

I'm from Australia... and Pavlova is the best dessert!!!
It's definatly one that takes a little practise though.
Did you leave it to completely cool in the oven?
That may help with the explosion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%